Author Topic: MLB 2017  (Read 3334 times)

MattDrufke

MLB 2017
« on: February 19, 2017, 01:55:45 PM »
Got tickets to see the Cubs in Arizona! Let the fun begin.

Quick take: What do we think about the thoughts of changes to how we play extra innings?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-plans-to-test-new-extra-innings-rules-in-rookie-ball-with-joe-torres-approval-224914115.html
@ihatemattdrufke

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
Re: MLB 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 02:25:46 PM »
Nice Matt, should be fun.  I'll be heading down to Miami in a couple of weeks for the first round of the World Baseball Classic and they will be using that rule too. At first blush I don't like it, but then I don't like when they change rules, the replay stuff has been a bit annoying. I get it, they are trying to improve the game and facilitate faster game play, but it sounds a bit stupid.  Wonder how stats are going to be affected for the relief pitchers? They should be unearned runs because the RP isn't responsible for them being on base.  Part of the reluctance and potential resentment is partly from fear of how it will affect my fantasy team lol.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

MattDrufke

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 04:54:29 PM »
First off, there is one rule I do like: changing the automatic walk to just a signal from the dugout instead of having to have the pitcher throw the pitches.

I think where I disagree with the commissioner is that I effing love a game that goes into the 17th inning where a manager accidentally has no choice but to put in their fifth outfielder as an emergency pitcher. That's the kind of nonsense I love. It makes baseball what it is.
@ihatemattdrufke

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 05:05:05 PM »
Agreed, when else will you see a position player get in there and pitch a few?  Those times testify to the great athletic prowess of these men of summertime, going from a career of playing the infield to throwing strikes in the early morning hours of an epic baseball fantasy.  Putting men on 2nd is ridiculous, hopefully this will not come to pass.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 10:02:52 AM »
To quote my smart friend who works with Dodgers radio, "If you aren't a baseball fan, then no amount of reform with regard to pace of play will get you to watch. You either like MLB, or you don't."

Football is massively popular in this country, and their games (pro and college) last just as long if not longer than MLB games. Baseball is a fairly laid back sport, pace wise. It's like golf, if you don't have 5 hours to play a round of golf, why are you playing. If you don't have the patience to watch a baseball game, why are you watching.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 12:20:59 AM »
USA wins the World Baseball Classic, what an amazing run for them, going through the best last 2 champions and an undefeated Puerto Rico team. I hope this brings more attention to this very cool event and something that I was swept up in this time around. I was at the first round in Miami and when Nelson Cruz hit the go ahead bomb for the DR, erasing the 5 run lead the US had, the stadium felt like it was going to collapse. Just so amazing how the rest of the world loves baseball as much as I do, the Colombian, DR, and even Canadian fans were out and enjoying the highest level of baseball in the world battling it out to be the best. Christian Yelich (who could have been an MVP) said this was his best experience in all of baseball, and even though he's young and never been in the playoffs, I think even an All Star Game would not be on par with playing with the top American players and against the world's best and winning the whole thing! What a WBC, very special and so amazing, nice work USA!!! And very big respect to the other teams, great talent everywhere, so competitive made this so much fun!!!

MattDrufke

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 03:05:56 PM »
So, this is crazy...

I'm flying back from Phoenix yesterday and a guy comes in at the last minute to get the seat by me and my girlfriend. I look at his bag and everything on it has a Diamondbacks logo and the guy has a ring on his finger the size of a fist. He looks really familiar, but it's also clear from his body language he wants to be left alone, so I say nothing. He falls asleep the moment we're in the sky and wakes up with maybe 20 minutes in the flight.

I can't help myself.

I say something like, "I can't help but notice that's a pretty impressive ring on your finger," and he replies, "Yeah, they don't make a lot of these." Then he stays quiet. I get the hint and go back to my book. Finally, as we're landing, he turns to me and says, "In case you were curious, it's a World Series ring." I mention that it's impressive and notice I'm looking at Tony LaRussa. I introduce myself and he says the Cardinals asked him back to St. Louis for some opening night celebration. We shake hands and he goes on his way.

The funny thing is, I assume the Cardinals flew him out. And they flew him Southwest. With a stop in Minneapolis.
@ihatemattdrufke

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 06:16:45 PM »
 :), that's a good story
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 07:43:04 PM »
That's super cool!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 06:00:48 PM »
I'm surprised you didn't try to fight him or criticize him being you are a Cubs fan