Author Topic: Captain Fantastic  (Read 1075 times)

fredf7

Captain Fantastic
« on: February 21, 2017, 07:54:29 PM »
So is this what's going on at the end?  The dad is still with the kids but he's chastened and realizes that (1) the kids should be exposed to the real world and (2) he shouldn't expose the kids to injury or death on a regular basis (you'd think that might have occurred to him earlier but whatever). So at the end they're all living in a rustic but very nice house (where'd that down payment come from?) and the kids are bused to public school.  Did I get that right?

In spite of my snarky tone above, I kinda liked the film.

dassix

Re: Captain Fantastic
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 05:52:01 PM »
I know I shouldn't be in this area if I haven't seen the movie yet.  Would you recommend this movie?  I'm trying to get in some movies this year, but have to be selective at the same time.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 05:32:15 AM »
If you've already seen all the Oscar stuff and the movies that regularly appear on critics' lists, than yes, start with this one. It also appears on some critics' lists, so I have some back up here. I am still thinking if it will make my own Top 10.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

fredf7

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 09:39:26 AM »
I would say this is a notch or two better than a few of the regulars on the critics' lists.  One standout moment:  When the dad (he's home-schooling but in a decidedly secular way) asks his daughter to tell him about the book she's just finished--Lolita.  The daughter's response, as she goes through her reactions to the novel and its main character, is the best capsule analysis I've ever heard or read about the book.  And you can see the daughter working her way through the analysis as she's delivering the lines.  And you end up thinking, Geez, I just got a semester's worth of analysis of this novel in a few succinct lines.  This in turn plays into how you feel about the dad's whole project.  But it's balanced, because the movie shows you the negatives too and lets you make up your own mind (although there's a little propaganda for one side over the other, but not too much).