love

Author Topic: Best and Worst Winners: Oscars 2017  (Read 7671 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Best and Worst Winners: Oscars 2017
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 03:27:40 PM »
What part don't you understand?

shuabert

• Elite Member
    • Caveat Lector (Personal Tumblr)
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 03:33:24 PM »
Off screen matters aside, Affleck did give the best performance of the year imo

I agree. I just think publicly celebrating him for it, especially by having a woman who is an outspoken advocate for abuse victims and won an award last year for playing one present him with that award, is gross.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 03:33:44 PM »
The part where you disagree with artistic recognition on the basis of a person's private life.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

shuabert

• Elite Member
    • Caveat Lector (Personal Tumblr)
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 03:39:09 PM »
The part where you disagree with artistic recognition on the basis of a person's private life.

It's an act of solidarity? You can recognize Casey Affleck gave a great performance, and still refuse to give him an official public award for it.

Imagine how it feels to be in an industry and have a room full of literally all of your peers show you how little they care about what happened to you that they'll parade someone out to pat on the back despite multiple accusations of harrassment/assault. It sends the message, "we don't care about you" or "we don't believe you." It makes every woman starting out in Hollywood more vulnerable and less supported.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 03:45:54 PM »
I think this has come up before (a different situation), and I remain curious where people draw their lines. Like, should he never win an award the rest of his life? If he had gone to jail and served a full sentence, would it be okay to root for him as a penitent underdog who served his time? Et cetera.

Pop quiz: Why was Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle barred from making movies?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Totoro

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 03:54:13 PM »
People aren't as mad at what he did as they're mad at how he handled it. He has simply swept it under the rug and called it an unfortunate lie instead of acknowledging it for what it was: something he didn't countersue as slander but settled out of court for. It's pretty preposterous but I am not surprised that certain people still want to defend him here.

Totoro

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 04:01:25 PM »
Top 5

1. Best Documentary: OJ: Made in America
2. Best Picture: Moonlight
3. Best Supporting Actress: Viola Davis, Fences
4. Best Adapted Screenplay: Moonlight
5. Best Original Score: La La Land

Bottom 5

1. Best Hair & Make Up: Suicide Squad
2. Best Animated Feature Film: Zootopia
3. Best Production Design: La La Land
4. Best Cinematography: La La Land
5. Best Actor: Casey Affleck, Manchester-by-the-Sea

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 04:04:10 PM »

And do you actually not understand the concept of having principles? Because you said you would never understand it, and that's not the same as simply not agreeing with it.

If you truly don't understand it, then read shuabert's post a few times, and really try to imagine what that would feel like. It may be difficult if you've never had to struggle because of your gender (or race, or sexual orientation, or economic class...) but give it a try.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 04:20:55 PM »
I understand having principles. I don't understand principles that would have personal issues factor into artistic awards. I also don't understand looking at an artistic recognition and seeing that as a condonement of personal behaviour. I am not defending the guy, whatever Totoro may think. I just don't think anything but his performance should be relevant.

Bottom 5

1. Best Hair & Make Up: Suicide Squad
2. Best Animated Feature Film: Zootopia
3. Best Production Design: La La Land
4. Best Cinematography: La La Land

Were you rooting for something for Makeup or do you just think SQ's is not up to the standard?
What was your pick for Cinematography?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 04:28:45 PM »
Because awards aren't simply a cold and mathematical evaluation of achievement. There are real world implications. Recognition both reflects the feelings of artists and their peers, and influences them as well. To someone who has suffered sexual assault or harassment, rewarding Casey Affleck could feel like saying "I don't care about you because it's vitally important that I vote for the best performance". Some things are bigger than that.