Author Topic: Top 5 Worst Movie Titles  (Read 594 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford

I hate this title too. It's obnoxiously long.
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Jeff Schroeck

How do NOT want to watch it? They're BAD ASSES on the BAYOU!

And is it really any more ridiculous than "Avengers: Age of Ultron"? Or "Captain America: The Winter Soldier"? Those sound like absolute schlock if you're not a fan of superhero comic books. You're just not a fan of the Bad Ass Cinematic Universe.

Let's break this down:

Avengers: Age of Ultron
"The Avengers" are a group of individuals whose identity has been established in previous movies. Now, you might object that "The Avengers" is a silly thing for a group of people to call themselves, particularly if you're not familiar with the franchise, so let's look at that. Does the title match the group's activities? 100%, they totally avenge. Would there be a better, less silly thing for them to call themselves, like "The World Special Forces Defense Squad", which sounds more serious and military and such? That's a mouthfull though, even if you acronymize it to TWSFDS, and in the heat of battle you need short, to the point words to communicate with your teammates. The Avengers fits the bill. Perfect name.
"Ultron" is the name of their nemesis in the movie. You cannot call that a ridiculous name, that's the name his parents gave him. Shame on you.
"Age of" is a callback to source material that admittedly has nothing to do with the actual plot of the movie, so I will grant you that that part is dumb.
Apart from that, the title is basically telling you this movie features the entities known as The Avengers and Ultron.
Ridiculousness level: 3/10

It's not clear to someone who doesn't know or care much about Marvel that Ultron is a person. It sounds like it could be astrological, like it's the Age of Aquarius.

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
    • Pretentiously Yours
Good point. Maybe I should raise that level a notch. I'll think about it.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
Most superhero titles that aren't just the character's name and a number are bad titles.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Again "Captain America" is a character we are already familiar with and "The Winter Soldier" alerts you to the fact that the movie is introducing a new character called The Winter Soldier.

Well then, that title does not work because up until now I thought Captain America was the Winter Soldier.

smirnoff, I agree with most of yours (I like "Boyz n the Hood" but it doesn't make sense for a movie that has nothing to do with N.W.A.) but what do you have against "Career Opportunities"?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:22:13 AM by MartinTeller »

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
    • Pretentiously Yours
Most superhero titles that aren't just the character's name and a number are bad titles.

You mean, like Dawn of Justice? I take your point.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Again "Captain America" is a character we are already familiar with and "The Winter Soldier" alerts you to the fact that the movie is introducing a new character called The Winter Soldier.

Well then, that title does not work because up until now I thought Captain America was the Winter Soldier.

smirnoff, I agree with most of yours (I like "Boyz n the Hood" but it doesn't make sense for a movie that has nothing to do with N.W.A.) but what do you have against "Career Opportunities"?

That cannot be the movie's fault. A character specifically says at some point that the Winter Soldier is an elite operative for whoever they thought he was working for.

Jeff Schroeck

Someone who hasn't seen those movies wouldn't know that.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
That cannot be the movie's fault. A character specifically says at some point that the Winter Soldier is an elite operative for whoever they thought he was working for.

Oh I haven't seen it. I'm just saying the title makes it sound like Captain America = Winter Soldier.

My first wife always referred to "The Constant Gardener" as "The Crickleback Stickner" which in hindsight was pretty funny.

Here's a few that bug me:

Lucky Number Slevin
B*A*P*S
I <3 Huckabee
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (I guess I have a thing against sisterhoods?)

And lastly, "Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo". Which is a GREAT title, but now every jerkoff who thinks he's funny uses "____ 2: Electric Boogaloo" for whatever dumb sequel-related joke they have.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:35:14 AM by MartinTeller »

Jeff Schroeck

Also, what if the Bad Ass franchise is about a criminal named Ass, and in the third film in the series we finally meet the extended Ass family, who live in New Orleans and are also all criminals? That makes it a great title!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
I'm already not a fan of the title Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. I get that adding a location gives it some geographical significance, but I keep having to look up everything after Three Billboards, which is when I discover there's also an atypical word in the middle.

love