love

Author Topic: Top 5 Worst Movie Titles  (Read 5603 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Quantum of Solace won the thread.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
I've seen the film twice and couldn't tell you what the hell the title means. Maybe Edgar knows...

MattDrufke

Every time this trailer came on in the theater, my girlfriend would groan because I would start singing, "If you see a faded sign at the side of the road..."
@ihatemattdrufke

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Have you actually watched those movies oldkid? smirnoff?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
I've seen about half these films.  Why do you ask?

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is Mrs. oldkid's vote.

Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 3

Ballistic: Ecks v. Sever

QUACKSER FORTUNE HAS A COUSIN IN THE BRONX

To Wong Fu: Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar

Herbie Goes Bananas

Quantum of Solace

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'hoole

Bad Ass 3: Bad Asses on the Bayou  (a piece of art, this title)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
I just wonder what could possess someone to watch something called Bad Ass 3: Bad Asses on the Bayou-

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
How do NOT want to watch it? They're BAD ASSES on the BAYOU!

And is it really any more ridiculous than "Avengers: Age of Ultron"? Or "Captain America: The Winter Soldier"? Those sound like absolute schlock if you're not a fan of superhero comic books. You're just not a fan of the Bad Ass Cinematic Universe.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
I haven't watched any, DH.

More I don't like.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Shawshank Redemption
Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford
Quills
Career Opportunities
Once Upon a Time in... (everything but "the West")
The Intouchables
The Constant Gardener
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Boyz N the Hood
The Eiger Sanction
In the Land of Blood and Honey

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
The Swedish title of My Blue Heaven (1990) became "Hur jag lärde en FBI-agent att dansa marengo", which translates into How I Learned A FBI Agent To Dance Marengo. ::)
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
How do NOT want to watch it? They're BAD ASSES on the BAYOU!

And is it really any more ridiculous than "Avengers: Age of Ultron"? Or "Captain America: The Winter Soldier"? Those sound like absolute schlock if you're not a fan of superhero comic books. You're just not a fan of the Bad Ass Cinematic Universe.

Let's break this down:

Avengers: Age of Ultron
"The Avengers" are a group of individuals whose identity has been established in previous movies. Now, you might object that "The Avengers" is a silly thing for a group of people to call themselves, particularly if you're not familiar with the franchise, so let's look at that. Does the title match the group's activities? 100%, they totally avenge. Would there be a better, less silly thing for them to call themselves, like "The World Special Forces Defense Squad", which sounds more serious and military and such? That's a mouthfull though, even if you acronymize it to TWSFDS, and in the heat of battle you need short, to the point words to communicate with your teammates. The Avengers fits the bill. Perfect name.
"Ultron" is the name of their nemesis in the movie. You cannot call that a ridiculous name, that's the name his parents gave him. Shame on you.
"Age of" is a callback to source material that admittedly has nothing to do with the actual plot of the movie, so I will grant you that that part is dumb.
Apart from that, the title is basically telling you this movie features the entities known as The Avengers and Ultron.
Ridiculousness level: 3/10

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Again "Captain America" is a character we are already familiar with and "The Winter Soldier" alerts you to the fact that the movie is introducing a new character called The Winter Soldier.
What are the odds that anyone could realistically be called Captain America? His name is supposed to be a symbol for all things American, a beacon for the troops to rally around as they face the enemies of liberty and bacon. Being a soldier, he needs a rank, and Captain is the symbolest of all ranks. I mean, all the best characters are Captains. Whoever heard of a Major Kirk or people getting up on chairs and shouting « O sergeant my sergeant ! » ? Bullocks, it must be Captain. If you don't know the character however you may dismiss the idea of anyone actually being called America. First of all, as far as you know, he could actually be called Alan Michael Erica. That's a perfectly fine, reasonable name, no more silly than, say, Martin. Second of all, is he is in fact called Something Something America, how awesome is that? Doesn't it just make your freedom-nuggets tingle?
If you call out the second part of the title as ridiculous, I will assume you are referring to the "Winter" part, because "The Soldier" is in no way an intrinsically ridiculous thing for anything to be called, and I am sure there is already a movie named that. If there isn't, there should be. "Winter" here refers both to the fact that the character was frozen and unconscious for a period of time and his Russian roots. Russia, as we all know, is eternally associated with winter and all things cold. Just ask Napoleon. So you have a double metaphor operating from just that one single word. Amazing titling I say.
Ridiculousness level: 1/10

Bad Ass 3: Bad Asses on the Bayou
As usual, let's proceed by asking ourselves what someone not familiar with the -verse might thing when looking at this title, which is easy, because I am such a person. Funny that. Looking at the movie title before the franchise title:
"Bad Asses": Here I must make a few hypotheses. (1) We are talking about a congregation of low-quality posteriors. The idea of a movie about arses is decisively ridiculous. Also, arses cannot be bad, they're wonderful, wonderful things. Preposterous. (2) This is referring to a group of particularly obstinate donkeys. No way to treat an animal in my opinion. Positive reinforcement is always better. (3) The title is using slang to describe its characters. Quite inelegant.
"Bayou": A geographical location. Nothing wrong with that, the bayou is as fine a place as any other for a movie. Perhaps a bit quaint. And I suppose all those delightful idiosyncratic vernaculars and customs could be seen as ridiculous by some. Not me though, I am open minded and inclusive.
"on the": Shouldn't it be "in the"? Poor grammar. Unfortunate.
"Bad Ass": This is either the aforementioned group of buttocks, donkeys or ruffians. Repetition is bad writing.
"3": There are three of this movies? Ludicrous.
Ridiculousness level: 9/10

love