Poll

What is your attitude towards trailers?

I avoid all trailers with dread and energy. I will close my eyes and cover my ears in the theatre.
2 (10.5%)
I avoid all trailers except for those at the cinema.
0 (0%)
I only avoid trailers of movies I care about. I will close my eyes and cover my ears in the theatre.
3 (15.8%)
I only avoid trailers of movies I care about but will watch those at the cinema.
1 (5.3%)
I watch what I come across.
9 (47.4%)
I'll look for a trailer to figure out if I want to watch the movie.
2 (10.5%)
I actively seek out all the trailers. I feed on trailers.
2 (10.5%)
I make trailers for a living. Not the Genisys one though. I swear that wasn't me.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Movie Watching Habits: Trailers  (Read 1982 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Movie Watching Habits: Trailers
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 12:08:00 AM »
If a movie can be ruined for you by seeing three minutes of footage beforehand, it's not a good movie to begin with.

I feel the opposite to this statement. If your movie can't be ruined by three minutes of footage, then it's not an interesting story. :)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 04:27:36 AM »
How do you feel about Shyamalan movies?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 12:31:59 PM »
Skeptical.

Terrazine

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 12:54:11 PM »
If a movie can be ruined for you by seeing three minutes of footage beforehand, it's not a good movie to begin with.

I feel the opposite to this statement. If your movie can't be ruined by three minutes of footage, then it's not an interesting story. :)

This makes more sense to me. Footage that cannot be ruined is wasted footage. It means there's these "filler moments" meant to fill the screentime till the "good part" comes up, which is just BS IMO. Make the whole movie "the good part".

That said, I can't help but watch what I come across, including seeking out trailers for films I wanna watch. What can I say? I love trailers. Since I was a kid, there was nothing like a good trailer that gets me all giddy up about an upcoming movie. That pure excitement that gets me al hyped up about a film - regardless of what the end result might be - is something I live for. I know it would leave me open for disappointment, but there's just a sense of joy going into movies like that; all excited and pumped up. I just can't help myself.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 11:41:01 PM »
On the bright side, if you watch them far enough out you often forget many of the details. :)

Make the whole movie "the good part".

Amen!

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 05:10:21 AM »
On the bright side, if you watch them far enough out you often forget many of the details. :)

Or just get old and forgetful enough.

Me I enjoy them, but I still wish they would stop putting stuff from the 3rd act (or even the 2nd) in the trailers.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 10:30:19 PM »
We all watch movies differently.  For folks who watch a lot of movies, a new plot is hard to find, we look for something different.  But a lot of folks live for the next episode in a series, the new revelation of a character, the surprising twist.  They are the people that we reserve "spoilers" for.  It is, of course, their own responsibility, but there used to be a general rule (perhaps it was always imaginary) that trailers wouldn't contain plot points past a third into the movie.  Certain those are not the times we live in.

As far as a film being all "good parts", I honestly think that's what Suicide Squad tried to do.  They failed because we didn't care about any of the characters.  However The Raid did this same thing and succeeded.  All heart-pumping action and it worked.  But in general, a film needs to be paced, give us time to breathe, time to have balance in the experience.  It may feel that slow parts are unnecessary, but they often get us ready for the next heart-pumping scene (whether an action or a romance or a drama).
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 12:19:56 AM »
I watch what I come across.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 04:21:48 AM »
I am totally indifferent to trailers, so I guess I watch what I come across. Sometimes.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 04:40:10 AM »

Movies play with our anticipations and expectations. Like a maestro controlling his audience's mood through the music, the architecture of a movie invites us to guess at its ultimate shape. Because experience informs our reaction to things, we cannot help but watch a movie and draw parallels to other storytelling and other movies. Like in maths, if we have been taught that f(x) is always equal to 2x+5 we are going to be anticipating the curve of the film to evolve in a 2x+y shape. The filmmakers cannot but be aware of this as they craft their work. When you complain about superhero movies all being the same, you're complaining that they make no effort to escape that formula. We are naturally biased against derivative art. That makes the subversion of any genre, trope or convention paramount to a work of art when it attempts it. It means nothing that the movie turns out to be a g(x)=8^x/5x if you were not expecting the usual f(x). Trailers will shatter your original experience of the movie when they reveal what shape it takes. They rob you from the opportunity of transitioning from your expectations to the realization that you've been played, that the movie was ahead of you the whole time, not you of it. Sure, a story should remain good when you take away all the excitement of the reveals, but we should be allowed to have that virginal first one viewing and that « What the hell » moment. T2 is great, but I wish I hadn't known about Schwarzy before watching it.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love