Author Topic: French Movies  (Read 431 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: French Movies
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 05:21:21 AM »
The new movie about a (totally fictional and unrelated to real things) far-right party just opened here but it is a bit hard to get to. Is it worth the trouble?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 06:50:33 AM »
The new movie about a (totally fictional and unrelated to real things) far-right party just opened here but it is a bit hard to get to. Is it worth the trouble?

I've heard mediocre things.

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 09:22:54 AM »
Movies currently being projected:

L'Odyssée
Félicité

Don't know anything about both.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 10:47:07 AM »
Don't know about Félicité, L'Odyssée is a Cousteau biopic. Haven't seen it, heard it's ok.

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 05:08:36 AM »
Are the new movies about Rodin and Gauguin any good?

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 05:26:01 AM »
Are the new movies about Rodin and Gauguin any good?

Haven't seen either, but I've only heard bad things about the Gauguin one. Rodin is rather divisive but seems more interesting at least.

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 05:46:14 AM »
Thanks.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 09:47:50 AM »
This thread reminded me I should be doing this:

Au revoir là-haut / See You Up There (Albert Dupontel, 2017)

A literary adaptation taking place during and after WW1 does not sound like the most exciting thing in the world, but one directed by Albert Dupontel ? I have no idea how familiar cinephiles outside of France are with Dupontel (I suppose his role in Irréversible might be the main thing), but he's not the guy you'd expect to be directing (and starring) in this kind of film. He brings a comedic sensibility that is very welcome here, and as an actor he has an everyman-quality that is well-used (though he does not even try to look the right age in the WW1 scenes).

I suppose I should describe briefly what this film is... I guess the short version is that it's a con movie about two WW1 veterans ? The con is somewhat incidental though... well, it's not in the sense that thematically, the film is all about war profiteering, but it's more enjoying the time spent with some colorful characters: Dupontel himself as the likable, nice guy protagonist, Nahuel Pérez Biscayart (who, between this and 120 battements par minute/BPM, is having quite the year) as an artistic "gueule cassée" (ie a disfigured veteran) who makes fabulous masks for himself, their cute orphan sidekick, Niels Arestrup (French cinema's most outstanding character actor) as Niels Arestrup and especially Laurent Laffite as a glorious villain who might very well actually twirl his moustache at one point. If it sounds a little messy, it's because it is... well the world's I'd use is "chaotic", because it works very well, and feels quite appropriate to the period, when everyone is trying to get ahead in the post-war vacuum.

It also looks pretty great. The set design/art direction/etc. is fantastic as it should be for a period drama, and I could have sworn it was shot by Bruno Delbonnel (Jeunet's usual DP), though it wasn't.

I don't know if I've described it well, but it's a good time at the movies and you should watch it if it comes your way.

8/10

love