love

Author Topic: Brick-spoiler edition  (Read 6529 times)

Jack Lumber

Brick-spoiler edition
« on: January 01, 2007, 06:41:35 PM »
Quote from: "Katebo"
The only way I could've liked it better would've been if Brendan *didn't* "tell the tale" to that other character at the end, if he'd just walked away without explaining everything. I was able to figure out most of what he said then anyways, and it would have been all kinds of cool if it'd just been left a bit unanswered, not tied up with a neat bow. I do realize, however, that most audience members probably aren't as used to catching miniscule details and piecing it together and that without the explanation, many would be utterly confused, which is why this is such a nit picky complaint. I thought this was a new kind of film, or at least a fresh take on an old one, and I know I'll be recommending it to everyone I know and buying the DVD.

SPOILER WARNING.

There's no way it would've worked without that scene. Not only does it explain what really happened, but it also completely changes the relationship between Brendan and Laura. The actual plot information is important, but does a lot more than just give a recap of the whole film, it establishes that Brendan and Laura's relationship is over, and it shows how she's gets busted for stealing the brick. Also, I know I didn't already know just about any of the details he was talking about and I bet most people who watched the movie didn't pick them up either.

And it was one of my favorite scenes.
"It simply stops at one point, rolling the credits - which is convenient, because it lets you know who to hate." -Jerry Holkins

"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather is one of those things that gives value to survival."
- C. S. Lewis

Katebo

• Elite Member
  • Shiny!
    • Sound on Sight TV
Brick-spoiler edition
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 07:36:39 PM »
Quote from: "Jack Lumber"
There's no way it would've worked without that scene. Not only does it explain what really happened, but it also completely changes the relationship between Brendan and Laura. The actual plot information is important, but does a lot more than just give a recap of the whole film, it establishes that Brendan and Laura's relationship is over, and it shows how <spoiler>. Also, I know I didn't already know just about any of the details he was talking about and I bet most people who watched the movie didn't pick them up either.

And it was one of my favorite scenes.

I disagree- the scene explains what happened, but at least to me, most of it was already evident. And Brendan and Laura's relationship would be just as over if he walked away from her before explaining as when he did the same after explaining. What bothered me is that it was out of character. There is no reason for Brendan to say all that- both of them know it. It makes sense for him to say something to show that he knows, but to go through all of it, there's no reason for that.

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
Brick-spoiler edition
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 10:33:28 PM »
I think it reveals that Laura stole the brick.  I didn't know that she had set everyone up and ultimately was responsible for Emily's death.  I think the reason he says it is because she coaxes it out of him.  He is at first going to just blow her off and says something like "Oh you want me to tell you the whole tale?"

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Brick-spoiler edition
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 09:34:39 AM »
I think that is one of the best scenes because it translates old thrities and forties film noir dialogue into the modern film.  I think it's one of the only things that works on all the levels the director wants it to.  This was the scene that kind of saved the movie for me.  This and the junkie scene.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Kid A

Re: Brick-spoiler edition
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 08:20:28 PM »
I have to say that my favorite scene was the first time Brendan goes down to the Pin's Lair.  The music and the dialog are perfect.  "Maybe I'll just site here and bleed at you"  was one of my favorite lines, along with "He's 'sposed to be old, like 26" (no one that I've watched this with seems to appreciate that line), and "You've been sniffing me out for a long time.  Sniffing for me like a vampire bat for a horse with a nick on it's ear for it to suck on.  They do that you know."

The ending scene is great, though.  I like the layer that it added to the Brendan/Brain friendship, that was capped off with the shot of Brain's exit from the film, where he seemed to walk right into Brendan's head.  In the end, Brendan is just another socially awkward high school kid who can't keep any real relationships with his friend.

ElectricOtter

• Elite Member
  • I masticate in public.
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 12:16:56 PM »
Someone told me a theory that Brain is just a figment of Brendan's imagination. He noted that you never see him interact with anyone but Brendan and that he just kind of appears out of nowhere in that last scene, only to walk into Brendan's head as Kid A mentioned. I'm not sure if I buy into it, and I also don't see any thematic or subliminal reason why Rian Johnson would even have Brain be a hallucination in the first place. It doesn't change anything that happens in the story either way.

Oh, and P.S.- Brain is probably my favorite character in the entire movie, and I also snicker to myself anytime he says that line about Pin being old like 26. One other personal favorite moment of mine is when Brendan is shaking down Dode and the Piehouse rats come up. He just whips around and prattles off "So who wants to?! I've got all five senses and I slept last night, that puts me six up on the lot of you!"

"You got me, I'm a scout. You've got heart, kid- how soon can you be in Philly? Tough winters, but they've got a good public transit system."

Man, I just realized I could quote this entire movie. And now I want to watch it again. It really was one of the best of last year.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 12:25:42 PM by ElectricOtter »
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun, count every beautiful thing we can see...

www.myspace.com/fightingpickletog
www.boothfilmcritics.org
http://dmbmovieboi.dvdaf.com/owned

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 02:02:22 PM »
Well you don't see Brain interact with anyone but he does give Brendan messages from Laura and the VP and things like that.  I think Brendan wanted Brain to lay low so that the VP wouldn't know they're in cahoots.

ElectricOtter

• Elite Member
  • I masticate in public.
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
Yeah, that's why I don't entirely buy that theory. But it's fun to play Devil's Advocate.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun, count every beautiful thing we can see...

www.myspace.com/fightingpickletog
www.boothfilmcritics.org
http://dmbmovieboi.dvdaf.com/owned