Author Topic: Top 5 Ancient Rome Movies  (Read 388 times)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
Re: Top 5 Ancient Rome Movies
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 02:40:27 PM »
Julian the Apostate by Gore Vidal is a great book.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 02:41:00 PM »
Caesar is his family name. I mean, Julius is too, but that only places him in the entire Julii family. Caesar was the cognomen of his branch and the name he went by.

I can read Graves' book any day, and it would probably be better than the film version. Besides, any adaptation of a novel runs big risks of being disastrous. These are stories that would do better to be written purposefully for the screen.

Julian the Apostate by Gore Vidal is a great book.

Can confirm.
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 02:46:23 PM »
Well yeah, but if we start talking about Gaius that doesn't help anyone, especially since that's also Augustus's name.

Makes sense that Julian the Apostate's story would make a great book. It would probably make a great movie too.

Scorsese could do Constantine, that'd play right into his interests.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 02:48:13 PM by Teproc »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 02:51:22 PM »
Honestly, I never saw the film I, Claudius, but I did read the book.  I generally trust BBC miniseries', which I Claudius was turned into.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 02:59:41 PM »
I was saying that Caesar was the best way to refer to him.

Scorsese could do Constantine, that'd play right into his interests.

That could be amazing if he tones down the contemplativeness and concentrates on action an dialogue.

As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be the Emperor of Rome.

DiCaprio could star as Licinius.

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 03:30:19 PM »
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

I fully endorse this pick!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 05:16:52 PM »
Disagree with you about calling Julius "Caesar", as that just leads to confusion  (says the first century scholar, who might be biased).

Constantine would be great, if it focused on the civil war years, and not on his religious aspects, of which there are a dozen interpretations.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 05:37:26 PM »
Caesar leads to confusion with Augustus, and of course it becomes a title that all emperors (and not only the Roman ones either) would wear. Julius alone isn't great either, Julius Caesar is the way to go.

@oldkid: Well you can't do Constantine without focusing on the religious aspect. Regardless of when the conversion actually took place, he made it his legacy. Well, that and a lot of other stuff, but I've always seen Constantine as the first medieval monarch because his approach to religion and statecraft would basically be the template for most monarchs in the next thousand years... but this is getting slightly off-topic I suppose; Point is: good directors (a Pablo Larrain perhaps) need to make films about Roman emperors. If they want to.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 05:55:45 PM »
Hail, Caesar! is pretty great.  ;D

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 03:15:31 AM »
You cannot do a Constantine movie without the religion part because religion played a massive part in his defeat of Maxentius and would thereafter be instrumentalised in all his campaigns. So unless the movie is Constantine: The Early Years (not an impossibility, he had moer than enough campaigns to justify it) you need to go into the religious aspects of his reign, even if you omit Nicea and the more scholarly parts.

Gaius Julius Caesar was the only person ever to be known as Caesar. Earlier members of his family would have different praenomen since his father was the younger son of a junior branch of a junior branch but in any event his father had he exact same name, as did his grandfather and, possibly, his grand-grandfather. There is no unique name the Caesar we know had but that's no problem because (1) no one cares or has heard about the earlier Julii Caesares and (2) unlike other members of his family, Caesar would be known as Caesar, whereas his ancestors would have been called, in all likelihood, Gaius Julius by their contemporaries. Also, as Teproc mentioned, Caesar would later on become a title instead of a name, but all the emperors were known by their names, from Augustus to Romulus Augustulus.

love