Author Topic: Nitpicking  (Read 3728 times)

Teproc

• Elite Member
Re: Nitpicking
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 12:21:26 PM »
I meant all African-American playing the Americans, forgot a few words in there.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 01:44:43 PM »
And yet, I didn't have a problem when it was done for Hamilton. Maybe because I don't have a definitive image of those characters outside of George Washington.

I'll come back to the other points later, but this is a completely different situation. Those characters are all white, we understand that. Casting only non-white people is an artistic choice that doesn't change anything about the story or the reconstruction of the period. The characters in TBB are exactly what they seem however.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 03:11:41 PM »
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2017, 11:48:09 PM »
While I really loved Wreck-It Ralph and definitely am looking forward to the second one, the first one had the part where they found the '!' from the MGS series, and I think it even made that sound, but that was so silly because they were in a run down US arcade at the time, there's no way they'd have any kind of Metal Gear arcade machine in there. I think the only real MGS arcade that would have that specific exclamation mark and make that sound was only released in Japan. Like, don't get me wrong, I am all about acknowledging how great the MGS franchise is, but also it really, really pulled me out of the film.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 12:28:34 AM »
Die Hard: when John McClane arrives, the security guard (the real one) has John type in his wife's name to find where her office is. He checks under M but finds it under G for Gennaro. John says "30th floor?" and the Guard responds: "They're the only ones left in the building." So why go through the process of having John look for her? Why not ask for some ID and have the guard tell John that Holly's name is not McClane, making him embarrassingly check for Holly Gennaro. Now there's a logical reason that also gets the necessary information passed on.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2017, 04:56:51 AM »
Yea, that always bugged me too.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 05:55:19 AM »
I am glad more people are finding things to nitpick.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 03:18:33 PM »
I guess it just feels cheap. Like : "look how progressive we are !". No, Disney, you really can't be called progressive when you're making an adaptation of Beauty and the Beast and completely avoiding the central subject AGAIN.

What was that again? I cannot find your BB review.

What indication is there that Beauty and the Beast takes place in 1750 and not 1850, anyway?

The art direction is consistent with XVIIIth century fashion. By 1850 you would have gone through a number of revolutions and in the 1650s people were wearing the longer sorts of wigs and wholly different garments.

Yeah, I could suspend my disbelief for the magical transformation of man to beast, but the presence of black people was a bridge too far!

No.

pixote

I've never understood this sort of argument. The magic stuff is the very premise of the movie. It's the fundamental thing you have to accept for the whole thing to make any sense at all. What the premise isn't, however, is « This entire castle's been cursed, and also, this is a different timeline where Africans have immigrated to France and successfully integrated ». The words « In France » are uttered by the narrator and are among the very first in the movie. If it proceeds to create an image of the setting that clashes to what I expect, it does take me out of the movie.

I do think you have a reasonable point about potential whitewashing of slavery, but again, I think lessons about that could, and should, come from other sources. Let black people have a few minutes in a goddamn fantasy movie, for heaven's sake. Isn't that more important than your uptight nerddom?

My uptight nerddom, as you put it, is just respect for historical accuracy. You can do whatever you want with The Princess Bride or Legend, but if you take an artistic decision to place your movie in a specific setting, stick to it. I honestly wish they hadn't placed the film at all; I could have enjoyed Ewan McGregor's glorious native accent and this entire issue would have been avoided.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2017, 11:47:35 PM »
I do think you have a reasonable point about potential whitewashing of slavery, but again, I think lessons about that could, and should, come from other sources. Let black people have a few minutes in a goddamn fantasy movie, for heaven's sake. Isn't that more important than your uptight nerddom?

My uptight nerddom, as you put it, is just respect for historical accuracy. You can do whatever you want with The Princess Bride or Legend, but if you take an artistic decision to place your movie in a specific setting, stick to it.

I mean, yeah, uptight nerddom is exactly what that sounds like.

But also, I'm not immune either. Re-reading my reviews of the new Apes movies, I would characterize my own reaction to the occasionally not-quite-convincing CGI as uptight nerddom too. Although that wasn't my only objection to those films, reading those comments of mine made me think "lighten up and just let yourself get into it".
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 11:51:00 PM by MartinTeller »

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2017, 06:38:37 AM »
Maybe this is just nitpicking but I don't think there is enough in this thread.  I will soon get back in the habit of watching films so I can find something more to nitpick about
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

love