Author Topic: Top 5 Franchises of Your Generation  (Read 6498 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Top 5 Franchises of Your Generation
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2017, 01:40:33 PM »
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me: A franchise so big it spawned a restaurant franchise!

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2017, 06:16:11 AM »
Yet the first 3 films are a trilogy, telling the story of Ash. Once they added the remake, the series became a franchise.

Surely the idea of a continued, self-contained story is more important than the number of movies? Teproc is right that, although the Indiana Jones movies, of which there are only three, make up a trilogy, that trilogy does not have an intermovie arc. They are three self-contained movies that take place in the same universe and feature the same characters. No plot points otherwise connect them. By your own rules, it should count as a franchise.

Remakes on the other hand, shouldn't. They reset the continuity and therefore belong to, if anything, a new franchise. The Batman movies, for example, do not share continuity or universe, so should not be considered a franchise, including the Nolan ones, which tell a unified story, and are therefore simply a trilogy.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2017, 06:33:02 AM »
Top 5 Movie franchises of my Generation:

The MCU
Like or not, Marvel wrote the new rulebook on moviemaking. They set the standard for big action blockbusters and everyone is trying to follow their lead. It will probably be decades before the mainstream switches formulae.

Star Wars
The prequels were probably the most anticipated movies of all time, terrible as they were. That disappointment marked more than just one generation while kids who were lucky enough to be young enough to know better were actually able to have some great fun for a few years until they realised that no, just no. I hold judgement on the new movies for now.

Harry Potter
This one is more difficult to call a franchise, so call this my cheat entry. There were a few years when, at Christmas, you knew you could expect a new Harry Potter movie to come out, and the furore was insane. Harry Potter was tradition for a little while.

And I guess I don't know how to count to five. Most others cannot be considered of my generation or are not franchises by my rules. Or they were not that influential.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
Demolition Man finally brought us closure on the great franchise war.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2017, 10:51:17 AM »
Surely the idea of a continued, self-contained story is more important than the number of movies? Teproc is right that, although the Indiana Jones movies, of which there are only three, make up a trilogy, that trilogy does not have an intermovie arc. They are three self-contained movies that take place in the same universe and feature the same characters. No plot points otherwise connect them. By your own rules, it should count as a franchise.
When they made the 3rd, there was never a plan to continue onwards, which is why he rides off into the sunset, why it was so many years until they decided to extend the trilogy into a franchise. Three different adventures, but in the end Indiana Jones' arc was complete.

Remakes on the other hand, shouldn't. They reset the continuity and therefore belong to, if anything, a new franchise. The Batman movies, for example, do not share continuity or universe, so should not be considered a franchise, including the Nolan ones, which tell a unified story, and are therefore simply a trilogy.
One of the key decisions that makes a franchise is when a Studio decides to do a remake, prequel or reboot. They're taking an existing property and rebuilding the world.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2017, 11:07:20 AM »
Exactly, that contradicts your point about the movies having to share a universe. Remakes and such do no such thing, they tabula rasa the past and do their own thing. I could be more easily convinced about unity in cross-media franchise building than in reboots.

Prequels are fair game however, they add to the timeline.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2017, 11:22:44 AM »
My god, the hair-splitting is this thread is maddening. Can't we just say a franchise is any set of two or more movies that occupy the same fictional universe? Isn't the whole point of saying "what are the top franchises" just another way of asking "what fictional worlds do you like to visit"? What difference does it make how many there are or whether more movies are planned or not or if it's a remake?

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2017, 11:33:53 AM »
"Two or more" is totally fine for me.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2017, 11:38:46 AM »
The point of the thread is not to ask a "which worlds would you like to visit" sort of question. It is about the impact of certain protracted series of movies on generational cohorts and their overall quality as perceived by the members of the forum. The Apes movies are better than Harry Potter but I would still prefer to visit Hogwarts than their post-apocalyptic simianscape. And hair splitting is at least 50% of the fun in any Top 5 thread.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2017, 01:01:50 PM »
My god, the hair-splitting is this thread is maddening. Can't we just say a franchise is any set of two or more movies that occupy the same fictional universe? Isn't the whole point of saying "what are the top franchises" just another way of asking "what fictional worlds do you like to visit"? What difference does it make how many there are or whether more movies are planned or not or if it's a remake?

There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who find those conversations maddening, and those who question what "people" means, exactly.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd