love

Author Topic: Filmspotting Has a New Home Website  (Read 7362 times)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: Filmspotting Has a New Home Website
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 07:54:13 AM »
We could upgrade/tweak SMF to be more mobile-friendly, I believe. That'd be my preference, probably.

pixote

Is there nothing out there that would be mobile-ready from the start?

I have had a look around and SMF seems to be one of the most feature rich of the free forum software platforms. That said looking into the 'better for mobile' software I have found Discourse (www.discourse.org). This is an open source product (although the main site does appear to encourage you to take up there hosted option). It does have a feature to migrate from SMF. I had a look at the Altassian developer community forum, and the Mozilla forum, wikipedia says they are both discourse sites, but neither mentions that is the underlying software. They have very different layouts, suggesting there is a lot of flexibility in setup.

The other software I looked into that seemed good was MyBB, I have not looked at any of the sites based on this software on a mobile device.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 12:43:15 AM »
However, since yesterday I've been getting an error on the "unread topics" page for the forum, which I'm guessing has something to do with the new site ?

I've been really frustrated by this error. It's only happening to me on my phone, not my computer, but it's still severely annoying. I wondering if it's contributing to how quiet it's been here the past week.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 05:04:37 PM »
However, since yesterday I've been getting an error on the "unread topics" page for the forum, which I'm guessing has something to do with the new site ?

I've been really frustrated by this error. It's only happening to me on my phone, not my computer, but it's still severely annoying. I wondering if it's contributing to how quiet it's been here the past week.

pixote
There's no actual connection right now between the forum and the new site.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 05:18:13 PM »
I haven't experienced the error since shortly after that post. For whatever reason, updating the iOS on my phone allowed Dreamhost to get me to the right page.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Donald001

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 01:03:00 AM »
 :)