love

Author Topic: FilmStruck  (Read 6243 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
FilmStruck
« on: April 12, 2017, 11:01:52 AM »
Surprised I couldn't find a thread about this. So what do people think of the service? I heard early one people had buffering issues? Is that still the case?

I'm holding out for the PS4 app as I've found a lot of streaming sites are doing a piss poor job with their web streaming platforms.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: FilmStruck
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 11:50:45 AM »
I helped beta test it and liked it quite a bit. Really love their library of titles. I decided not to subscribe for now just because I knew I wouldn't be using it extensively quite yet, with most of my movie watching coming from new releases and marathons, which include mostly titles not on FilmStruck. I look forward to subscribing once I know I'll get my money's worth out of it.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 01:48:29 PM »
I too am waiting on the PS4 app to have it be as useful as it will be, but I've also used it for writing my thesis on Fanny and Alexander quite a bit. There are a few buffering problems still, but you can generally make it through a 2 hour movie without it going nuts. Maybe buffers once or twice.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 03:01:55 PM »
Another grab bag of titles. These streaming services are tough on me because they're a mix of recent films I largely have no interest in and if there are old classics it's a select batch of generally the same copyright free titles you can find on YouTube, like Scarlet Street and And Then There Were None.

The more of these sites that continue to fight for exclusive rights to collections and licensing the more people will continue to use YouTube, VeeHD or less legal places to find the film they want to watch.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 03:07:30 PM »
I'm more TV-focused than movie-focused these days, so Filmstruck (if I do it at all) will probably wait until after I've exhausted my queues on Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 05:08:21 PM »
I like the idea of having access to the Criterion Collection, but I can't get both Netflix and Filmstruck, so I'll have to make a choice.  For now, I 'm sticking with Netflix for Ideathy's sake.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 06:11:02 PM »
I had buffering issues the whole time I was on my freebie for the beta testing and I've seen like 90% of the Criterion Collection. Figured we already had Netflix, prime, and an expensive monthly cable bill so I just let it go. Id be the only one watching it, and I wouldnt watch it more than Netflix, which the family also uses.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 09:08:52 PM »
Count me as another waiting on a PS4/Xbox One app.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 09:04:57 AM »
Not all of us have access to Scarecrow, Jared.  :P

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 11:06:53 PM »
Rare movies on rental VHS. That is the way to go these days.