Author Topic: FilmStruck  (Read 6241 times)

Jeff Schroeck

Re: FilmStruck
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 07:39:19 PM »
Can somebody do me a small favor and tell me if Mike Leigh's Naked is currently on Filmstruck?

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 02:15:05 AM »
According to JustWatch it is not.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 03:24:16 AM »
Can somebody do me a small favor and tell me if Mike Leigh's Naked is currently on Filmstruck?

Naked, Another Year, High Hopes, Secrets & Lies, Life Is Sweet, and Meantime are all on Filmstruck.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 04:09:30 AM »
Thanks!

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 07:16:27 AM »
If you go to watch.filmstruck.com you can browse their catalog without logging in.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 07:43:45 AM »
Oh cool. I tried the main page but couldn't find a searchbar.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »
Still waiting on the PS4 app. Sounds like the web version uses flash, which I refuse to use anymore. I could get a Roku device or something similar, but I don't want to get something that I will only use for one platform.

I'm bummed because I'd love to dive into this library, but so far Filmstruck feels like it's lagging behind in making this platform up to snuff. Until them, my movie streaming is mostly at the whim of Netflix, which is terrible for classics and Amazon, which is okay, but not great. I'm not paying for either, otherwise I honestly don't think I'd own a streaming service.

I know I can use ILL and other means to get access to these films, but it feels like just a few years ago, it was easier to watch a lot of the old classics and now it seems like the big dogs are more interested in original content and the smaller companies can't even deliver a half-decent platform. I didn't love Hulu, but at least it was on the device I used and worked.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 02:24:16 PM »
Filmstruck's technical evolution (or lack thereof) has been frustrating. The last two films I tried to watch (via Roku) were marred by glitchy artifacts at the bottom of the screen. They were so similar that I'm worried the problem wasn't specific to those titles. The content is so great though, and I want to support it. But they make it difficult.

Does your library give you access to Kanopy?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 02:28:26 PM »
They don't but I thought about requesting it. Just one of many things on a long list of things I'd do if I had more time.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 09:37:46 PM »
Filmstruck just added 9 Borzage movies to their service. I recommend Liliom, Man's Castle, No Greater Glory, and especially Three Comrades.

Liliom is the same story as Carousel but much weirder. A little German Expressionism thrown in for good measure.

Man's Castle is a romance about homeless people living in a Hooverville. Starring Spencer Tracy.

No Greater Glory is movie about two warring factions of kids fighting over a mostly empty lot. No standout performers, but I once (semi-hyperbolically and certainly ignorant of many others in the genre) the best war movie. It's very good.

Three Comrades is about three men coming home (to Germany!) from WW1 and falling in love with a young woman. This is one of my two most favorite Borzage movies, partially because it has Margaret Sullavan and she is the best. Also, the screenplay is by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

There are a few others on it that I want to check out also: Secrets, History is Made at Night, and Strange Cargo. I can't really recommend Lazybones or A Farewell to Arms, though some people like the latter.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”