Author Topic: Questions to find out more about you!  (Read 6606 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Questions to find out more about you!
« on: April 26, 2017, 02:30:29 PM »
Please answer these questions in a non-movie related manner :)

What is the best place you've visited/lived?

What is the most romantic thing anyone has done for you? (PG, please!)

What is your favorite food or drink?

Robin William's genie appears to give you one wish for your life-- what is it?

Who has passed away that you miss the most?

Tell us a story of culture shock you've experienced.

What event most changed your life for the better?

What event changed your life for the worse?

No one has to answer any, of course, but please answer as many as you feel comfortable.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:16:21 AM by oldkid »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Questions to find out more about you!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 03:47:43 PM »
Stop pretending any of these people are real Skynet, I'm onto you.

following
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 08:30:32 PM »
Visited: Paris, France - I like going to New York City and I like the trashy fun of Las Vegas, but nothing yet has topped the sights, sounds, smells, taste of Paris
Lived: I can't decide if I prefer my first Apartment when I moved out to Los Angeles or when I lived with my close friends for several years out here. We enjoyed each other's company that much and were perfectly in sync in terms of socializing and privacy, but on my own meant the freedom of my own schedule for writing, eating, sleeping...

The obvious answer is when I proposed to my wife. I remember her face, which said *duh* before she answered, "of course".

Food: I love a properly done steak and a loaded baked potato
Drink: My favorite alcoholic drink was an aged bourbon and coke or a B-52 shot. Non-alcoholic is Root Beer.

I've often thought of the Genie Wishes, so I have to give the three:
1. Financial security and independence.
2. Teleportation, with the ability to bring along clothes, luggage and other people
3. Healing touch, physical or mental injuries, at my own discretion

I still have all my relatives, so the clear winner is this guy.

After years away from Florida, where I grew up, I returned home. I always saw my home state as a place that avoided the culture of the deep south, but the place looked like a breeding ground for Meth labs and Republicans. It no longer felt like home.

Working on "The Office" was the peak for me. The friends, the contacts, being able to share with my wife, and now the experience as I look back, that job enriched me as a person and as a fan of popular culture.

What event most changed your life for the worse?
Losing my best friend during a terrible argument between his wife and mine.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 08:51:12 PM »
Lived in London for a month and it was wonderful. The way they live there just appeals to me. You walk a lot, you don't buy much food at a given time. There are little pubs to hang out at all over the place. If I go back, I may stay for good.

Sam is not well-versed in these things. Mostly just women complimenting my beard or jacket.

I love lasagna but obviously cant eat it anymore with the whole celiac disease thing. So it goes.

Let me love people better.

Papaw, my dad's father. He was easygoing and kind, always generous with what little he had and just made me feel loved in a way I haven't felt from anyone beyond my parents. I also inherited a lot of his medical problems and felt like he probably would be someone who would understand and listen if he were still alive.

I once almost got ran down by a gay pride parade in Austin. That was pretty unexpected given my limited experience of Austin at the time.

This will sound absurd, but I went through about 8 months of unemployment after grad school that culminated in being diagnosed with depression and it just forced me to rebuild my life into something that I think is a lot healthier. Sometimes you gotta break before you can fix parts of your life.

It was more a lot of small moments/relationships of verbal/psychological abuse, but the boiling point was Thanksgiving with my mom's parents one year. I just shut down after that and will basically not interact with people that remind me of my grandmother. I've seen her maybe twice since and both times I feel nothing when I look at her. It's just this deep, empty indifference that I carry around toward people like her.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 11:47:23 PM »
Lived in London for a month and it was wonderful. The way they live there just appeals to me. You walk a lot, you don't buy much food at a given time. There are little pubs to hang out at all over the place. If I go back, I may stay for good.
I'm sure I'm going to go back to London at some point, but right now I don't get the love. I prefer to walk in New York (and I hear The Czech Republic, Italy and Germany are great for it too). I wouldn't buy much food because I haven't developed a taste for their cuisine yet, and I'm not as interested in the pubs of London as all the cafes in Paris. For walking, food and culture, right now I'd take San Francisco over London.

Let me love people better.
I wonder how much this can apply to all of us. Film makes us passionate and that passion occasionally or often is close to the surface. I see some like oldkid who have more of a Zen calm in regards to film and this forum is more about discussion and debate, but I wonder if because we've chosen to spend time here talking persuasively about cinema we love, it has left room for improvement in regard to loving others better or less selectively than we do.

I once almost got ran down by a gay pride parade in Austin. That was pretty unexpected given my limited experience of Austin at the time.
When I first moved to Tallahassee to go to college at Florida State, I decided to drive around and deliberately get lost to learn the city better. I ended up at Florida A&M University during Pledge Night. Now I had never seen a Pledge Night, which back then was known as Hell night because there were lots of torches and robes, and FAMU is about 90% black students. For someone who had never been outside his small town, the chanting, shouting marching and bonfires felt like I had driven into the middle of a large scale voodoo witchcraft ceremony.

This will sound absurd, but I went through about 8 months of unemployment after grad school that culminated in being diagnosed with depression and it just forced me to rebuild my life into something that I think is a lot healthier. Sometimes you gotta break before you can fix parts of your life.
I remember when this happened. Glad to see you still look back on it so fondly.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 02:16:46 AM »
Visited: Chittagong, Bangladesh.  It's a coast town with a huge beach, friendly people, hilly, beautiful and clean.  My heart warms whenever I think of it.

Long before we were ever a couple, Mrs. oldkid bought me a teddy bear surrounded with chocolate chip cookies and holding a Dr. Pepper-- my favorite food and drink when I was a teen.  It was shocking to me because it seemed more than a friend gift.   I was clueless, of course.

Chocolate chip cookies still tops the list for me.  But I haven't had soda for decades.  Now I drink iced tea, pretty much exclusively.

The first thing I think of is energy... but probably it would be the ability to house all of the homeless people I know.

The one that feels the most still is my friend Tim, who I wrote about in my review of The Dead.  My grandmother still pangs, sometimes.

In one of my trips to Bangladesh, I had left Mrs. oldkid and our kids at the hotel and I had an errand, so I took a baby taxi.  As I was stopped at a light, a man called out, "Hey, sir!  You want a girl?  Nice girl!"  I shouted back to him, "No thanks, I'm a Christian!"  "I can get you a nice Christian girl, no problem!"  That still makes me laugh.

Marrying my wife.  I can't think of any event that transformed my personality for the better, she has taught me so much.

An ongoing difficulty sleeping over the last decade or so.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 04:05:50 PM »
Great questionnaire, oldkid! And, I'm enjoying reading the responses. :) But, answering them myself is proving to be less than easy. I'll just go by the first thing that came to my mind upon reading the questions.

NYC. Endlessly rewarding.

Being given words, or words in songs. These are the most romantic gestures.

Steak salad, or chocolate

I have an affinity for horchatas, or hot cocoa.

Insight/understanding

my dog, Lucky

Being out in the country in Northern Vietnam with two young children and two new-borns and no safe water supply. It was a fearful time.

(events) Getting to be a mother.

I don't know. Sometimes the hardest things, are turning out to be my biggest learning opportunities.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 06:02:33 PM by Sandy »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 01:52:07 AM »
In school I had a friend with a cabin on a lake. A proper, no road access, off the grid cabin. And the lake was clean and deep. I enjoyed it because there was always work to do when you got there, and it was quiet and beautiful and you were with friends.

I like where I live now (Kelowna). I'm 15 minutes walk to a lake, to a hike, to a winery... the people here are happy. I'm happy.

I'll just say it was Halloween a surprise costume was involved. More subtle gestures were likely made over the years... I'm sure I missed them, because I'm blind like that.

Green tea ice cream
&
Port

Working knowledge of 100 different board games of my choosing, a bunch of friends with the same knowledge, and unlimited time to play.

Pass

Went hunting for geese on some farmland of a friend of a friend. Usually hunting for geese you might set up some place to hide, lay out some decoys, etc, and wait patiently... maybe some geese come land where you're at, maybe they don't. Well on this occassion the Farmer himself was with us... he's like "oh, forget all that hunting crap, just stand in the back of my pickup and we'll drive up on 'em in the fields... blast 'em when we get close". This is illegal in so many ways... but it just went to show the difference in priorities. We were a bunch of city-dwellers there to try and get a modest amount of meat, within the seasonal limits set down by wildlife arm of the govt, and following the rules. We had all weekend... it was as much a hangout as a hunt. This farmer was there to get that part of his day done... the less time it took the better. Doing a drive by on some geese was as routine as using a using a tractor instead of mules to plow the field.

Realistically... when my family first got a computer. Whew... I don't know how my parents were so forward thinking so early. They dropped big bucks on that thing. I mean even as a kid I knew that was a heck of a lot of money... and we were not exactly rich. I nerded out on that thing pretty hard... and everything I learned has been useful.

I stubbed my toe once. I don't know!

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 01:58:09 AM »
>What is the best place you've visited/lived?

These should be two different questions.

>Visited would be JiuZhaiGou, China.  It gave me the most overwhelming feeling of happiness and at times sadness at times.

>Lived:

San Francisco and Singapore each came together where many things just clicked. Probably each have a place in the future.  Though, I could feel at home in other places as well

>What is the most romantic thing anyone has done for you?

I am probably too dense to realize it

>What is your favorite food or drink?

I think all sorts of curries, best with coconut milk styles

Drinks: red wines

>Robin William's genie appears to give you one wish for your life-- what is it?

Younger, I wish I had been more focused or made a few different choices when I was younger.  I may still try

>Who has passed away that you miss the most?

I will keep this one private

>Tell us a story of culture shock you've experienced.

When I first moved to SG, my bossed asked me to go to Tokyo office to work on some issues they were finding.  My first trip working with the locals was difficult and frustrating. I spent 1 week the first round and flew home.  My first day back in the SG office, my boss looked at me and asked why I was back... turn around and go back to Japan.  I then spent the next 5 months there in a hotel.  Eventually the office warmed to me and even added me to the employee tracking board.

>What event most changed your life for the better?

Hard to tell, many changes for the better were often due to small random events

>What event changed your life for the worse?

I'll steal Oldkid's answer and just expand my ongoing difficulty to sleep properly over most of my life

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 03:11:12 AM »
Is there a South East Asia meetup I don't know about?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love