1. This is pretty much a gimme. As I was putting this together, I ended up with a list of 127 songs. 128 makes perfect tournament brackets, so I went to look for one more. I landed on this Barrett tune that was recorded by the group but never released until recently. It's not one of my favorites from Syd and it's not that produced that well. Shine On 1-5, on the other hand, is an astonishing piece of work and will likely (and perhaps rightfully) decimate all comers. Sorry, Veggie Man, you're a sacrificial lamb.
2. Cirrus Minor is one of the better tunes from More, but it drags. It feels like it should be half as long as it is. I'm delighted by Apples and Oranges, a great pop song with Syd's singular weirdness.
3. Why did I set up this tournament? It keeps forcing me to make painful choice. Point Me at the Sky is a great single, thoroughly enjoyable. But StCftHofS, come on. Hypnotic and fascinating. Tough choice, but going with Set the Controls.
4. Not now, not ever John. My least favorite on Final Cut by a big margin. Annoys me on a lot of levels. Easy vote for the shambling, absurd Bike.
5. And Gold might be my least favorite on Obscured By Clouds. It's fine, it's just not my thing. And up against Pigs? Not a chance in hell.
6. Another really really hard choice. How do I compare these? I feel very protective of the Syd songs, but Thin Ice is so good. Love Gilmour's solo. Thin Ice it is.
7. This one's a real no-brainer, isn't it? Breathe
8. There's not much I like on side 4 of The Wall. In the Flesh is okay, but I prefer the less aggressive one that opens the album. And Cymbaline is just lovely as all get-out.
Went with all the top seeds, although in hindsight I realize the last bracket should be flipped in terms of more realistic seeding.