Poll

Pick your favorite in each bracket

Comfortably Numb
5 (33.3%)
Wish You Were Here
10 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Pink Floyd Songs Tournament  (Read 13613 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Pink Floyd Songs Tournament
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 02:41:07 PM »
Round 1, Batch 1 results:

Comfortably Numb vs. Your Possible Pasts (11-2)
Burning Bridges vs. Candy and a Currant Bun (8-0)
Another Brick in the Wall, Part 3 vs. Paintbox (6-7)
Lucifer Sam vs. Outside the Wall (6-3)
Mother vs. Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk (10-1)
On the Run vs. Green Is the Colour (3-5)
Eclipse vs. Summer '68 (7-2)
Goodbye Cruel World vs. Heart Beat, Pig Meat (9-2)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 03:09:01 PM »
1. Boy, I really enjoy Scarecrow but I don't think I can vote for it against one of the best songs on DSotM. The saxophone alone is enough for Us and Them to win this one.

2. Argh! This is especially hard because these two have a kind of similar vibe. I just have more affection for A Pillow of Winds, and it's more consistently great.

3. Young Lust might be my least favorite song on The Wall. It's just rather bland cock rock to me. Like I could see Van Halen doing it. San Tropez is absolutely a throwaway filler track, but I'll take it over the competition. It's a fun little ditty.

4. Oh it's one of those forgettable instrumentals from More. Up against one heck of a great instrumental from DSotM. No contest, Any Colour all the way.

5. Things aren't looking too good for my beloved Final Cut. I really like Post War Dream, but it also exemplifies the worst of Roger's now I'm really really quiet.... AND NOW I'M REALLY REALLY LOUD tendencies. And up against Echoes? No chance, I'm afraid. Echoes is absolute genius.

6. It always annoyed me to no end that the only way to hear WtTBF (short of bootlegs) was to watch the movie. Very nice that it finally got an official release as a bonus on Final Cut. So mournful and majestic, some of Roger's finest lyrics. Crying Song is one of more better tunes off More, but I'm definitely going with Tigers.

7.  Well, this is too bad. Scream Thy Last Scream is delightful, one of Syd's most elaborate flights of fancy. It just works on every level. I'd love to vote for it. But Animals is my favorite PF album, and it's going to take a lot to get me to vote against one of its three main tracks. God, that riff at the ending gives me chills. Very sorry Syd, but it's gotta be Sheep.

8. Animals's PotW bookends are a little easier for me to vote against. Lyrically I think I like part 2 a little more. So I'll give a vote to Let There Be More Light, an excellent slice of space rock psychedelia.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 03:31:39 PM »
Round 2, Batch 2:

Us and Them vs. Scarecrow
A Pillow of Winds vs. Crumbling Land
Young Lust vs. San Tropez
Any Colour You Like vs Main Theme
Echoes vs. The Post War Dream
When the Tigers Broke Free vs. Crying Song
Sheep vs. Scream Thy Last Scream
Pigs on the Wing (Part One) vs. Let There Be More Light

My picks:
1. Us and Them
2. A Pillow of Winds
3. Young Lust
4. Any Colour You Like
5. Echoes
6. When the Tigers Broke Free
7. Sheep
8. Let There Be Light
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 04:52:25 PM »
I find that I am comparing some of the songs with songs that aren't being matched.  Scarecrow is good, but it feels like a lesser Bike, which is a fantastic mix of the childish, bouncy tune and masterful overlays.  And how can we compare it to Us and Them, a song I thought was "too slow" when I first heard it in college, but now I appreciate every nanoscecond of? 

I've never heard Crumbling Land, but it's a classic Floyd song, no mistake.  I love the build up, the soft sounds, the 60's vibe, it's all there.  But Pillow of Winds is one of my favorites of all time.  The more I hear Meddle, the more I love it, better than Dark Side.   I suppose I could listen to it another hundred times.

Young Lust vs. San Tropez
Head to head, my two least favorites on their respective albums.  The guitar and vocals on Young Lust are fantastic, but the lyric refrain is simply offensive and I've never gotten over that, even though I recognize that it's part of a larger story.  I appreciate it's place in the whole, but not as a separate song.  San Tropez is bouncy and breezy and fun and the piano is wonderful, but it takes me out of the album, which is dreamy and haunting.  As an individual song, I guess San Tropez wins.

Interesting match.  Main Theme always sounded like one of their experiments, but without a core.  Any Colour you Like feels like a bridge to get us from Us and Them to Brain Damage, but I never think of it as it's own song.  However Any Colour is better produced and tighter, so I give it the lead here.

Echoes vs. The Post War Dream
The Post War Dream is an excellent Roger Waters song with David Gilmour on guitar.  It reminds me of the best of Amused Ourselves to Death, my favorite Waters solo album. Still, it's a very well-done song, great Waters-preach.  But you can't put it against Echoes!  One of the greatest epic songs of all all time? 

When the Tigers Broke Free is the best of Waters-preach.  A tight, orchestrated sermon with a great punch at the end.  I struggle to know whether the album would be better with it.  I'll never know now.  Crying Song is pleasant with good guitar work, but it doesn't hold a candle to Tigers.

Sheep vs. Scream Thy Last Scream
I don't remember hearing Scream, although I must have.  The core song doesn't work for me, but the instrumental work is fantastic chaotic buildup.  Sheep has always been too long for me.  Mind you, this is from a guy who adores Shine on You Crazy Diamond, both parts.  But Sheep is too repetitive, and I could never really hear it the way I wanted to, no matter how much I turned up the volume. On the other hand, Sheep develops the ideas of Animals best and has a great hook.  So it goes to Sheep.

Pigs on the Wing (Part One) vs. Let There Be More Light
I've always enjoyed Pigs on the Wing, but each part seemed too slight to me, to make a whole song.  I've usually listened to the two parts back to back on my playlists.  Light seems to be an answer to Intersteller Overdrive, with lyrics.  I like it, good stuff.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 05:09:12 PM »
I don't have a problem with good cock rock. I like Peaches and PJ Harvey. I like "Young Lust".

Love is a Battlefield.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 05:29:24 PM »
1. I'm with oldkid on Scarecrow being a lesser (but still fun) version of Bike. Not that it matters anyway against Us (us...us...) and Them (them...them...)

2. Hey, I get to vote for an Obscured by Clouds, which might as well be titled Obscured by All These Other Great Albums But It's Still A Good One Guys. Both good songs, I'm now realizing that I've never listened to the Zabriskie Point soundtrack, but my preference goes to the more languid, distinctly Floydian A Pillow of Winds.

3. San Tropez is a favorite of mine, though I like Young Lust quite a bit, especially the way it starts. Again, given a choice, I'll generally lean towards the relaxed side of PF.

4. Any Colour You Like is Wright's masterpiece. The More soundtrack is interesting because it's the start of the post-Syd era, with the band exploring and experimenting, trying to forge itself a new identity, which ended up getting them to the brilliance of Atom Heart Mother... but More and Ummagumma, while not without faults and hosting a few hidden gems (more on that later), aren't quite there yet. I guess I'm not going with the slow tune this time.

5. A shame for The Post War Dream, which I forgot earlier but is possibly the best song in The Final Cut. Either that or... well we'll get to it in a bit. Anyway, it's facing Echoes, which is at least in the top 5 for me, so let's all say goodbye to The Post War Dream, whatever happened to it.

6. This is a much stronger batch than the last one overall. When The Tigers Broke Free really ought to have been in The Wall, something that was rectified by the film (Top 100 Club cross-promotion!). Crying Song is one of the hidden gems I was mentioning earlier... this is tough. A fight between languid dreaminess and stirring grief... it's so manipulative, but the choirs just get me, so it goes to When the Tigers Broke Free.

7. I had definitely never heard Scream Thy Last Scream. It's very Syd Floyd, but without the joy or the grandeur of Piper's best tracks, so it easily goes to Sheep, which I think is my favorite song on Animals.

8. Pigs on the Wing is nice, but Let There Be More Light is Astronomy Domine/Interstellar Overdrive Redux, and I love me some spatial Floyd.

By the way, Young Lust is supposed to be cock rock, that's kinda the point. I don't find it bland though.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 05:32:42 PM by Teproc »
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2017, 06:48:10 PM »
I consider Wright's masterpiece to be Sysiphus (1-4) from the Ummagumma album.  Which I don't expect to be on this bracket.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 06:49:46 PM »
I'm an Animals and Wish You Were Here guy myself and I don't mind the over-playing of Money on the radio, DSOTM is still so good.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2017, 02:15:28 AM »
Young Lust vs. San Tropez - San Tropez is good, but I am a lusty guy
Echoes vs. The Post War Dream - You really are putting Final Cut tracks against tough competition.
Sheep vs. Scream Thy Last Scream - I had not heard Scream Thy Last Scream before, very good.
Pigs on the Wing (Part One) vs. Let There Be More Light - Really like Let There Be More Light, but I connect more with Pigs