love

Poll

Pick your favorite in each bracket

Comfortably Numb
5 (33.3%)
Wish You Were Here
10 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Pink Floyd Songs Tournament  (Read 13628 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Pink Floyd Songs Tournament
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2017, 02:09:45 PM »
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I–V) vs. Vegetable Man
Vegetable Man is interesting and reminiscent of more recent grunge rock.  But it doesn't hold a candle to Shine On.

Apples and Oranges vs. Cirrus Minor
Apples and Oranges is a solid, but not exceptional Syd song.  Cirrus is a solid, but not exceptional spacey/nature song in the vein of Echoes (but more 'minor'). I'll lean toward Cirrus, because of the genre.

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun vs. Point Me at the Sky
I've never heard Point Me before and I like it's Beatles/Kinks sound.  But I've loved Set the Controls for a long time, so I'll have to lean toward that.

Bike vs. Not Now John
Not Now John is a great rock example of PF in the period of the Wall.  Better than Young Lust.  But Bike is one of Syd's artistic masterpieces, and I have to give it to him.

Pigs (Three Different Ones) vs. The Gold It's in the...
I just never cared for Pigs.  I don't know why.  The Gold sounds like a solo DG, but it's a keeper.

The Thin Ice vs. Flaming
I've always liked Flaming.  It's light, but a fun Syd song.  The power of The Thin Ice cannot be questioned, though.  It opens the door to The Wall proper and does so masterfully.

Breathe vs. Speak to Me
Strange to have these two songs up against each other.  I always considered Speak to Me to be an introduction to Breathe.  They work better together than separate.  I guess I'll give it to Breathe, which is the 'real' song.

Cymbaline vs. In the Flesh
In the Flesh is one of the greatest stadium rock songs of all time, and a frightening realization of the consequence of isolationism.  That is all.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2017, 02:14:28 PM »
Martin and I posted at the same time, and our two posts indicate the greatness of Pink Floyd.  We both have "obvious" but opposing picks.  This is because Floyd has much excellence and can pull in all kinds of appreciators. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2017, 02:56:22 PM »
1. Don't think I had ever heard Vegetable Man. Like almost all early PF, it has a lot of energy going for it, but that's about it. Shine On You Crazy Diamond, while not my favorite Floydian epic, is still great, especially when considered as one unit.

2. These two songs are so different, it's hard to compare them ! Also, they're rather... minor. I feel like I'm repeating myself with all these Syd tracks: they all have a certain charming exuberance, but they're also very messy. Cirrus Minor is nothing special either, but as I said earlier, I have a taste for the quieter, dreamier songs, so there you go.

3. To be fair to Point me at the Sky, that's probably a good thing to do before you Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun. Also it's a pretty cool one, though it feels very Beatles-derivative. But Controls is one of PF's most iconic songs for a reason.

4. A tough one. I opened this bracket by takling somewhat disparagingly about The Final Cut, but it really is because it suffers from the comparison to The Wall. I could say Not Now John feels like a reject from that album, because it does... but hey, The Wall is one of the greatest albums of all time, and Not Now John is still very strong. Then there's Bike, which I've mentioned a few times already as the example of a dissonant Syd song that actually works. Part of it is that it actually goes somewhere, and it doesn't feel entirely random. Listening to the two while writing this convinced me: Bike it is.

5. A song from their most overrated album vs one from their most underrated one !
It sounds like I'm about to make a controversial pick, but in truth I still rank Animals over Obscured by Clouds, and Pigs (Three Different Ones) is fighting with Sheep (that sounds weird) for the n°1 slot on there. The Gold It's in The? is good though, in a style that PF hasn't dabbled in that much.

6. Ugh. This bracket is tough. Flaming is great. It's probably Syd's best, lyrically speaking ? I'm still going to vote for The Thin Ice, but it hurts.

7. Hilarious to have these two paired against each other, since they're quite often paired as one single song. Easy Breathe, obviously, but Speak to Me is an essential intro to DSOTM... along with Breathe.

8. Cymbaline is a favorite of mine, but this is where the film version of The Wall starts to play a role (see also: The Trial). Even without that though, those opening riffs, and then Rick Wright coming in... so good. The choirs too, and the Roger Waters ranting... yeah I thought it was a hard choice but it really isn't: In the Flesh .
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 03:01:53 PM by Teproc »
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2017, 09:40:40 AM »
1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond - one of my favorite Floyd tunes
2. Cirrus Minor
3. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
4. Not Now John - Bike always annoyed me
5. The Gold It's in the... - because I love this song and figure Pigs will still win anyway (both are great)
6. The Thin Ice
7. Speak to Me
8. Cymbaline
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2017, 10:03:57 PM »
You really are putting Final Cut tracks against tough competition.

I didn't mean to, but man, I really did. And looking ahead, my favorite Final Cut track is up against a juggernaut. I should have seeded some of them higher.

Is it The Gunner's Dream? That sax solo...

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2017, 11:26:00 PM »
No, but that is a GREAT one. Now that I think about it, maybe that is my favorite.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2017, 04:15:01 AM »
I want to ask, but will wait to find out what other Final Cut tracks have made the 128.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2017, 08:54:44 AM »
All tracks on all albums (except Ummagumma and the post-Waters ones) are in the 128.

My fave on TFC is Two Suns in the Sunset. Another fantastic sax solo.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2017, 09:44:41 AM »
Round 1, Part 3 results:

Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I–V) vs. Vegetable Man (8-0)
Apples and Oranges vs. Cirrus Minor (2-3)
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun vs. Point Me at the Sky (8-0)
Bike vs. Not Now John (5-2)
Pigs (Three Different Ones) vs. The Gold It's in the... (7-2)
The Thin Ice vs. Flaming (8-0)
Breathe vs. Speak to Me (7-2)
Cymbaline vs. In the Flesh (3-5)

I hate losing Cymbaline this early
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:08:14 AM by MartinTeller »

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 10:29:35 AM by MartinTeller »