Poll

Pick your favorite in each bracket

Comfortably Numb
5 (33.3%)
Wish You Were Here
10 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Pink Floyd Songs Tournament  (Read 13609 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Pink Floyd Songs Tournament
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2017, 09:51:55 AM »
1. I can never remember what When You're In is like until I hear it and think "oh yeah, that one". A decent little instrumental, but no match for Wish You Were Here, not by a long shot. A stunning song.

2. Hmm, these are both pretty good. Biding My Time is more interesting, but I enjoy Childhood's End a little more.

3. We don't need to say anything about Party Sequence, right? This is obvious: Overdrive. Moving on...

4. Jeez, getting a lot of OBC in this batch, aren't we? It's my fault for getting lazy with the seeding towards the end. The title track is fine, actually I like it quite a bit, but Nobody Home is one of the greats for me, certainly one of my top 3 on The Wall. Gonna say these are maybe Waters's finest lyrics.

5. Oh man. The Gnome is one of the best Syd songs, I just adore it. But Great Gig... my favorite thing on DSotM, it's utterly sublime and gives me chills. I hate to do this to poor little Grimble Grumble, but Great Gig is a soaring masterpiece.

6. I like Free Four, but I gotta go with Happiest Days, even though it's inseparable from Brick 2 (and the lyrics are kind of on the nose).

7. Seriously, Martin? Five OBC tracks in one batch? Ah well. Stay is really beautiful on the verses and the bridge, but I hate the choruses. That makes this choice a little easier, because One of These Days is amazing. Kind of a sequel to Eugene, no?

8. I like the music of Don't Leave Me Now, that slow burn. But the whiny vocals grate on me a little bit, even though they're meant to be whiny. I'll take If, my favorite thing on AHM.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2017, 09:53:02 AM »
Junior, can you please re-enable the change vote option? I messed up my own votes.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2017, 10:01:52 AM »
1. When You're In is a typical Obscured by Clouds song: solid, enjoyable, but unable to compete with a heavyweight like Wish You Were Here.

2. Fun fact: when I was growing up, I believed (as well as many other people not very well versed in English names for animals) that Pink Floyd was named after this... but nope, it turns out it's about two obscure bluesmen. Learning this was both disappointing (for obvious reasons) and just surprising, because PF is not Led Zeppelin, and those influences are relatively well-hidden in their wide-ranging oeuvre (Seamus being one of few exceptions, but I'm trying to forget about poor Seamus and it's cruel, cruel elimination). All of which is a long-winded way of saying that I was delighted to discover Biding My Time, which is as straight-forwardly bluesy as Pf can get. That being said, it's an easy Childhood's End vote for me. PF was better at prog-rock than they were at blues, as it turns out.

3. Party Sequence is barely a song... not that Interstellar Overdrive couldn't have beaten it if it were, but you know.

4. As much as I have a fondness for Obscured by Clouds the album, Obscured by Clouds the song is kinda meh. Nobody Homes is a classic The Wall track, simple but powerful.

5. The Gnome is wacky fun, but The Great Gig in the Skyis magnificent.

6. Free Four was on Works and automatically has sentimental value for me because of that. Also, it's up against what's more of a bridge in between Another Brick in the Wall parts than a whole song, so yeah.

7. This is the Obscured by Clouds spotlight round huh ? Well, One of These Days (also on Works, and probably my first favorite PF song) it's going to get cut into little pieces.

8. Don't Leave Me Now is one of those The Wall tracks that loses quite a bit outside of its context. It holds up fine still, but If is just lovely and wins this one easily.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 10:03:34 AM by Teproc »
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2017, 02:19:30 AM »
Unfortunately my weekend was busy enough that I wasn't able to vote in the last batch, and I will try to make a commentary on this batch, but one thing must be said.

Biding My Time, I believe, is the most underappreciated PF song.  It's one of my favorites.  It is almost three songs that are perfectly transitioned and yet completely unified in theme and composition.  The buildup is perfect, and the final guitar solo is as raunchy and out of control as the opening is cool and smooth.  I get such joy listening to this song, which I do frequently.

That is all.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2017, 07:50:14 AM »
Wish You Were Here vs. When You're In - When You're In did not stand a chance
Biding My Time vs. Childhood's End
Interstellar Overdrive vs. Party Sequence
Nobody Home vs. Obscured by Clouds
The Great Gig in the SkyOrgasm Song vs. The Gnome - I am feeling contrarian
The Happiest Days of Our Lives vs. Free Four
One of These Days vs. Stay - Stay also did not stand a chance
Don't Leave Me Now vs. If

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2017, 01:07:42 PM »
Wish You Were Here
Childhood's End
Interstellar Overdrive
Nobody Home
The Great Gig in the Sky
The Happiest Days of Our Lives
Stay
If

Favorite from this list:

Wish You Were Here

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2017, 09:45:46 AM »
Round 1, Part 7 results:

Wish You Were Here vs. When You're In (11-0)
Biding My Time vs. Childhood's End (1-6)
Interstellar Overdrive vs. Party Sequence (7-0)
Nobody Home vs. Obscured by Clouds (10-2)
The Great Gig in the Sky vs. The Gnome (9-1)
The Happiest Days of Our Lives vs. Free Four (6-4)
One of These Days vs. Stay (9-3)
Don't Leave Me Now vs. If (3-6)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2017, 10:16:14 AM »
1. Hoo boy. Starting this batch out with a real toughie. These are both among my very favorite PF songs. As I said before, Two Suns is (maybe) my top song off TFC. But Hey You is definitely one of my favorites from The Wall (always thought it was such a shame it isn't in the movie). And to be completely honest, listening the Two Suns now, it's not as good as The Gunner's Dream... or the title track... or Paranoid Eyes. So I guess I'll go for Hey You.

2. For the life of me, I feel like I've never heard Absolutely Curtains before. Of course I have heard it before, and many many times. But that's how forgettable it is. Weakest song on OBC? Probably. An easy vote for Corporal Clegg, a delightful weird ditty (and far more memorable). Kazoo solo! This song makes me think of XTC's psychedelic-era tribute side project, The Dukes of Stratosphear.

3. I swear, More should be a 4-song EP. 6 songs at the most. I get it, it's a soundtrack and most of it is meant to be just background music or whatever, but as an album so much of it is skippable. Another easy vote for In the Flesh?, a great kick-off track to a great album.

4. See above. More Blues is mildly pleasant and utterly disposable. It sounds like a band noodling around during a sound check. Fearless is one of those songs that has a lot of nostalgia for me because it was in that first book of sheet music I owned. And it's a beautiful song with some great riffs.

5. Here it is, last chance for vote for a song off the oft-maligned (unfairly, IMHO) The Final Cut. Hero's Return has some fantastic production work. The song just sounds amazing. I love it. But does it stand a chance against Brain Damage? I mean, Brain Damage is pretty awesome too. It's probably a losing battle, but I have to cast my vote for Hero's Return.

6. Empty Spaces is a wonderful moody piece, the perfect buildup to either Young Lust or What Shall We Do Now (depending on if you're doing album or film). Waiting is... okay. There's bits about it I really like and other bits I could do without. Empty Spaces.

7. I love See-Saw, but I can't pick it over Astronomy Domine.

8. One of My Turns is really, really good but I have to go for Jugband Blues, Syd's last, pained gasp.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:18:00 AM by MartinTeller »

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2017, 02:44:30 PM »
I have seen The Wall a couple of times and is Hey You really not in the movie? Wow I never caught that.  This tourney is really f-ing cool.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"