love

Poll

Pick your favorite in each bracket

Comfortably Numb
5 (33.3%)
Wish You Were Here
10 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Pink Floyd Songs Tournament  (Read 13623 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Pink Floyd Songs Tournament
« Reply #190 on: July 03, 2017, 01:43:39 PM »
I'm just coming on to vote at the end because I didn't feel like revisiting a lot of these songs.  :P

Comfortably Numb and Dogs

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #191 on: July 03, 2017, 03:39:46 PM »
Something strange happened as I think it let me vote twice, I submitted a vote on page 19 and saw this after I submitted:

Comfortably Numb
4 (33.3%)Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I–V)
2 (16.7%)Dogs
3 (25%)Wish You Were Here
3 (25%)
Total Members Voted: 6

When I moved to page 20, it let me vote again and I see this:

Comfortably Numb
5 (35.7%)Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I–V)
2 (14.3%)Dogs
3 (21.4%)Wish You Were Here
4 (28.6%)
Total Members Voted: 7

I paged back and saw the vote at 6. Can you confirm that 7 different people voted and I am just mistaken that I voted twice?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #192 on: July 03, 2017, 04:18:04 PM »
I don't have any more information than you have. Maybe a mod can answer?

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #193 on: July 03, 2017, 04:42:56 PM »
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I–V)
Wish You Were Here

I just voted

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #194 on: July 03, 2017, 05:36:43 PM »
Martin, this has been a really fun ride through the years. It in a way is remarkable that just three albums got to be present in the quarter finals. Here I, for one, thinks that it is good that DSOTM drew blank! Animals will always be the only PF album that I really care about, but it was impressive the way The Wall had representation in every one of the four quarter finals. The tournament have been great fun but during it's course my esteem for the group has diminished some. Apart from the latter part of the 70's and a few psychedelic tracks there is not so much to write to home about. Funny, eh!? :D
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #195 on: July 03, 2017, 05:45:56 PM »
I don't have any more information than you have. Maybe a mod can answer?

They don't trust me with that sort of power.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #196 on: July 03, 2017, 11:47:51 PM »
Given the outcome, I am not sure it would matter
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #197 on: July 04, 2017, 11:14:21 AM »
We'd need at least 3 more votes to turn either of the tides, and that's very unlikely so let's get to the grand finale...

Comfortably Numb vs. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I–V) (7-5)
Dogs vs. Wish You Were Here (3-9)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #198 on: July 04, 2017, 11:20:22 AM »
Well, this seems like a rather unsurprising climax. The #1 seed vs. the #3 seed. Voted Wish, a pretty easy choice. It may be unfair but to me, Numb is just too played out. Like if I'm listening to The Wall as a whole I can still enjoy it, but outside of that context I just feel like "oh, this again?" Wish You Were Here has a timeless simplicity and the poetry of the lyrics is gorgeous.

Martin, this has been a really fun ride through the years. It in a way is remarkable that just three albums got to be present in the quarter finals. Here I, for one, thinks that it is good that DSOTM drew blank! Animals will always be the only PF album that I really care about, but it was impressive the way The Wall had representation in every one of the four quarter finals. The tournament have been great fun but during it's course my esteem for the group has diminished some. Apart from the latter part of the 70's and a few psychedelic tracks there is not so much to write to home about. Funny, eh!? :D

I have to disagree. If anything, this tournament has reminded me how few clunkers there are in the entire Pink Floyd catalog. I would say the only negative for me has been the discovery that I'm not as fond of Obscured By Clouds as I thought I was.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #199 on: July 04, 2017, 11:38:13 AM »
I have to disagree. If anything, this tournament has reminded me how few clunkers there are in the entire Pink Floyd catalog. I would say the only negative for me has been the discovery that I'm not as fond of Obscured By Clouds as I thought I was.

I missed the early rounds so probably didn't get a chance to vote for many on Obscured by Clouds but I really think it is one of their better albums but an outlier between the experimental side and concept side. 

The final round is easy, WYWH.  This would only be a difficult choice for me if it had gone against Time.