love

Author Topic: Top 5 Autism Movies  (Read 1854 times)

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
Re: Top 5 Autism Movies
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 04:10:24 PM »
Really the question is, should this thread be about films with characters whose traits and personality quirks and struggles those on the autism spectrum can identify, or should it be about films that are actually dealing with characters being on the autism spectrum. If retro harry potter counts then it's the the former and I think including Chance, Drax and Howard Hughes is reasonable.

I think diagnosing movie characters through character traits is a bit disconcerting, because it leads to the idea that we can also diagnose real people that way (that guy is kind of awkward, must be on the spectrum, that guy is a very logical, must be on the spectrum, etc) which labels people and puts them in boxes and makes it easier to forgo a deeper understanding of the infinite varieties of personalities, histories and experiences people have. Even when done with positive intention I find it othering and dehumanizing. But I also understand that that isn't oldkid's intention or thought process when talking about the subject, so I prefer to just read this all as about the viewer seeing character traits and experiences that those with autism can identify with rather than about the characters' psychological state.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 04:16:47 PM »
In the case of Drax, I see him as a 10 year old boy in a man's body, but the idea his is ASD works as well.

Nice to see a couple of mentions for Ben X, a film that did not seem to get much attention when it was released.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 04:19:59 PM »
I always understood that scene to indicate that he is type of Christ.  Walking on water is pretty specific.

Which would not indicate a diagnosis of autism.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 04:25:46 PM »
No, it would a side point.  Jesus said that the poor and the lowly would lead the world, like the "meek shall inherit the earth."  Chance is a sign of the lowly, Christ-like person, who happens to be ASD, moving into power.  I find it to be a surrealistic twist to a pretty strange, but straightforward plot.

But we aren't choosing films where everything has to do with autism, are we?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 05:13:54 PM »
Nope, just autism done well, no matter how tangential.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 11:49:55 AM »
Draxx is not on the spectrum because the spectrum relates to human neurology, and not to be specie-ist, but Draxx is not a human.

My autistic dog objects to this.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 03:29:49 PM »
I just watched a Very Good Irish film called The Drummer and The Keeper (2017). One of the most accurate looks at the particulars of high-functioning Autism. Really good script, thoughtful direction (that leans a little too hard on songs between the drama) and two wonderful lead performances.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 09:05:56 PM »
I just watched a Very Good Irish film called The Drummer and The Keeper (2017). One of the most accurate looks at the particulars of high-functioning Autism. Really good script, thoughtful direction (that leans a little too hard on songs between the drama) and two wonderful lead performances.

The trailer looks like it's fun.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky