love

Author Topic: Top Five Outlandish Movies  (Read 2787 times)

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
Re: Top Five Outlandish Movies
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 12:51:41 PM »

Got it?

Hmm, not sure. That list is notably more subdued than your initial example of Hausu, which left me scratching my head what other similarly crazy-weird stuff I may have seen. Also, that one plot description from 1SO's horror thread came to mind. I don't mean that as criticism, it's just, whereas at first I was struggling to find something, I now can think of far too many that fit the (second) bill.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 01:26:27 PM »
1. Fight Club
2. Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
3. Pink Floyd: The Wall
4. The World According to Garp
5. Onibaba
6. Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story
7. Up
8. Love Exposure - this would rank much higher if it was Top 5 Most Outlandish Movies
9. Watchmen
10. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

Honorable Mention:
The External World

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 01:59:37 PM »
4. The World According to Garp

Outlandish how? It's got a few mildly oddball elements, but I would say it's far from "outlandish".

7. Up

I would disqualify children's movies, but that's just my opinion. Interesting that you put Up here and not any of the Toy Story movies, which I was certain you liked more. What makes Up outlandish and TS not?

8. Love Exposure - this would rank much higher if it was Top 5 Most Outlandish Movies

This was the first one that came to mind for me.

Hmm, not sure. That list is notably more subdued than your initial example of Hausu, which left me scratching my head what other similarly crazy-weird stuff I may have seen. Also, that one plot description from 1SO's horror thread came to mind. I don't mean that as criticism, it's just, whereas at first I was struggling to find something, I now can think of far too many that fit the (second) bill.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Hausu set such a high bar for outlandishness that the other titles oldkid listed seemed far too "normal" by comparison. Except Katakuris, and maybe Eraserhead although for some reason the "outlandish" tag doesn't feel right for that movie.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 02:16:17 PM »
Really like seeing Superstar on your list. One of my favorite films and definitely fits the bill.

I think there should be a separate category just for 80's movies:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Howard the Duck
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Gymkata

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM by philip918 »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 02:23:05 PM »
My approach is movies that blow our minds, that are so crazy that they could be horrible, but somehow they seem to work (for us).  I tend to lean in my thinking toward movies that keep throwing crazy things at us, and don't really stop.
This is why Up and not Toy Story. Toy Story has that initial conceit, just like Roger Rabbit, but Up keeps piling on the crazy. The flying house is just the beginning. This is also why I couldn't leave Up out, even though I agree there's a built in amount of Outlandish in a children's film. Just ask Willy Wonka.

As for Garp, oldkid's initial list contained a number of films (like Life of Pi) that lowered my initial bar for what counted and Garp pretty clearly passes that bar with crazy things coming from all directions. It's outlandish in a way similar to Fight Club.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 03:00:38 PM »
I agree with Martin on the movies I have also watched. The bar for outlandish is lower in animation aimed at children and Garp is not really on the level of outlandish I thought this thread was wanting to operate on - and the club one must not talk about either for that matter.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 03:32:23 PM »
10. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

Love these 2 picks.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

And this one.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 04:19:35 PM »
LOVE the inclusion of Buckaroo Bonzai.  I was just thinking about that film and loving it on the screen of my mind.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 05:15:49 PM »
John Lithgow is your go-to actor for outlandish material and I like that society has advanced to where a film containing Lithgow playing a transsexual athlete is considered not outlandish enough.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 03:18:55 AM »
  • Visitor Q (2001)
  • Inland Empire (2006)
  • Southland Tales (2006)
  • Masked And Anonymous (2003)
  • Repo Man (1984)
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)