Author Topic: Josh's London Meetup  (Read 7350 times)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
Josh's London Meetup
« on: May 17, 2017, 12:19:27 PM »
In June... discussed on episode #635. Details coming soon.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Josh's London Meetup
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 12:51:00 PM »
A European meeting? Truly? I am just going to assume I was the inspiration for this.

Shame I won't be able to attend though.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

NigelSmith

• Tufnell Park Film Club
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 01:36:36 PM »
I will supply details as they are agreed.

Nigel (Tufnell Park Film Club)

timothyeraw

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 09:30:34 PM »
Will travel up for this.

Josh I can get you free cinema tickets at Cineworlds, half price tickets at Curzon Cinemas and a treat on me at the glourious Picturehouse Central. Would love to see a film together or with the meet-up group.

Thanks for reading my recommendation of Lady McBeth on the show.

Tim

NigelSmith

• Tufnell Park Film Club
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 01:31:44 AM »
Hi everyone

I've spoken to Josh and we've agreed that Monday 12 June at the BFI Southbank at 8pm suits him best for a meetup.

I will try to reserve a table at one of the bars and post here when it's done.

If people want to to meet up before Josh arrives at 8pm very happy to do so.

And if any of you are interested in Tufnell Park Film Club, here's our website and mailing list info.

http://www.tufnellparkfilmclub.com/

I look forward to meeting you next month!
Nigel

timothyeraw

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 03:09:01 AM »
Nigel,

just an idea, but what about, heading on to a bar called The Understudy by the National Theatre after first couple of brews? 4-5min walk, Josh gets a scenic route and a bit of variation also. I think it's a lot more atmospheric with better drinks selection too. Maybe check it out next time you're at BFI as it's right nearby?

Are you going to Sundance London?

Tim

Josh

• Administrator
    • LarsenOnFilm
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 09:13:02 AM »
Thanks Nigel. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

NigelSmith

• Tufnell Park Film Club
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 11:29:22 AM »
Hi Tim

Good idea. I know the Understudy well and agree it's got a better beer selection than BFI. Let's just play it play it by ear - if it's a nice evening we may be able to sit outside there (it can get v v busy though).

Let me see if I can reserve us a table at BFI first. Thematically at least it seems like the best place to meet.

I'm not going to Sundance London sadly. It's same weekend as Stoke Newington Literary Festival which I always enjoy going to.

Nigel   

MrBen_King

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 03:06:34 PM »
Hi All,

Delighted this is happening and thanks for organising. I'll certainly be coming along. I work around the corner so it's perfect.

The BFI and the Understudy are both great locations but I thought I'd suggest a another. Only a suggestion mind! The 5th floor balcony at the Royal Festival Hall, next to BFI, is a bit of a London hidden gem. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.urban75.org/blog/a-drink-on-the-fifth-floor-balcony-at-the-festival-hall-on-the-southbank-london/amp/

If the weather is good it's especially magical as it gets the late evening sun and as it's overlooking the Thames it has spectacular views of London. You can get beers in the downstairs bars and then a lift straight to the balcony. The best thing about it is no matter how busy it it on the Southbank it's never packed and you can almost always get a table and chairs.

Cheers,

Ben

@MrBen_King

PS Whether we go there or not please don't tell anyone else about the 5th floor balcony! The person who showed it to me said the first rule of the 5th floor balcony is you don't talk about the 5th floor balcony etc.. ;-)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 12:10:13 PM »
I will likely attend unless I end up out of town at the time
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman