Author Topic: #636: Top 5 Films of 1984 + The Terminator  (Read 932 times)

Lorien2001

#636: Top 5 Films of 1984 + The Terminator
« on: May 30, 2017, 08:55:28 PM »
Put the movie 2010 on your To Watch list. 

It's not a movie to dismiss.  It's just a very good picture, actually still on my Top 5 for 1984, out of the 70-ish movies I've seen from that year.  Its connection with 2001: A Space Odyssey is unfortunate, because all it is not good at is being a stylistic sequel to that film.  They're more different than the first two ALIEN movies, than Mad Max and The Road Warrior, Halloween and Halloween 3, or The Evil Dead and Army of Darkness.  Not being Kubrickian is a feature that, once known, is easily dismissible as an expectation.  That's just not what it is. 

What 2010 is is smart drama, in, frankly, a beautiful looking film.  Scheider is giving great Scheider, which is always good.  Bob Balaban is perfect as Dr. Chandra, creator of HAL, very like the computer, also very human.  Helen Mirren was already as she is now, sharp and strong, a good watcher and listener.  It also has Lithgow doing his best Nice Guy, the role he perfected in the 80's.  The crew is great - it's just a solid movie across the board. 

See it.  As a favor to yourself.

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
Re: #636: Top 5 Films of 1984 + The Terminator
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 07:34:08 AM »
This was a pretty interesting episode, to hear Adam and Josh go at each other  ;D

I'm on Adam's side. I think the film is great, and I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer it to T2.

love