love

Author Topic: The Top 100 Club (Episode III)  (Read 111735 times)

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
Re: The Top 100 Club (Episode III)
« Reply #690 on: October 31, 2017, 12:09:45 AM »
A Blackadder Christmas Carol
The audience laughter really made this stand out as TV and not a movie, and at least for the first quarter or so actually took away from the humour. It did get better as it went along and ended strongly, enough that I wonder if it actually did get better or if I just got more on its' stylistic wavelength. I've never seen Black Adder before, mostly because Atkinson's Mr. Bean gets on my nerves, but he's different here, not great enough to raise the writing up a notch, but good enough to match its weird mixture of wit and silliness. I'm more willing to consider watching all the other Black Adder stuff now.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #691 on: October 31, 2017, 04:24:57 AM »
This is why people who only know Mister Bean should not say they don't like Rowan Atkinson. Blackadder is utterly different in style to Bean, ditto for his stand-up. I cannot stand Mister Bean but love post Season 1 Blackadder and most of his stand-up.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #692 on: October 31, 2017, 04:38:05 AM »
And his earlier stuff with Not the Nine O'Clock News.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #693 on: October 31, 2017, 04:45:01 AM »
That I didn't know about.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #694 on: October 31, 2017, 05:56:41 AM »
Right in the nick of time.

Let the Right One In
Thomas Alfredson (2008)

I continue to not get horror movies. Was anything in Let the Right One In supposed to be terrifying? Or does the internet list it as a horror movie only because it features vampires? If the former, well, there was simply nothing scary about it. No thrills, no anxiety, no feelings of dread. It could not have. The movie exists in a vacuum of sound despite the discussions and the ambient noise, colder than the pervasive snow of it. It is enfolded in this calmness, a still ambiance of congealed time, movement and sound and nothing feels urgent or significant. The violence feels unimportant, nothing matters much.

It is a movie about children that happens to have a vampire in it. There is also bullying, because apparently that is the law among horror movies. The film gives us characters but does not tell us why we should care about them or like them. We are told very little about anything and guessing is made pointless.

5/10

This will turn out to be my only review this month. Sorry Jeff, it just wasn't a very movie-ish month for me.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #695 on: October 31, 2017, 06:26:28 AM »
I continue to not get horror movies.

That's a pretty damning opening statement and hardly the right head space. What does it matter whether someone deems it horror? What does it matter how horror is defined?

And no anxiety? What of the boy's safety vs her, vs the bullies? Or of the girl's search for identity. Plenty to engender a connection.

FWIW I prefer the remake, but this is still a good movie.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #696 on: October 31, 2017, 06:38:56 AM »
The opening statement is not so much a comment on the movie as it is a comment on the genre and the discussions surrounding it and the movie. It doesn't change my enjoyment of it, but I see it on Top X horror movies and I wonder « Why ?... »

I didn't care about Oskar's safety because I didn't care about him in general. I thought Eli was the more interesting character and I wish the movie was more about her and her POV. We know so little about her though. I see her arc more as a search for connection than identity, but in any case, for me to have more of a response I would have needed more from her.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #697 on: October 31, 2017, 06:42:47 AM »
Be careful, you don't want to get on her bad side.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #698 on: October 31, 2017, 06:52:39 AM »
The Last Picture Show (Peter Bogdanovich, 1971)

The Top 100 is a funny thing.  Everyone's list contains films that I have been meaning to watch, ones that are on my List of Shame, ones that I can't believe I haven't seen yet.  Last month it was The King of Comedy, and this month, it's The Last Picture Show.  It has a lot of live up to...so many years of hearing how groundbreaking it was, and how it still is today.  Can a film about a small Texas town in the early 1950s really live up to that?  Yes, yes it can. I watched this film about 5 days ago, and I've been struggling with what I should write about it ever since.  For me, it is harder to write about a film that has made an impact on me more than one that hasn't. 

There are many things that jump out at me. The way that the only music you hear is through radios or from bands playing at dances.  The silence has a way of emphasizing what is happening on screen, especially during the sexual encounters.  I don't think there has been a film that has more accurately displayed the awkwardness and impersonal nature of particular sexual encounters, so much that when we see Cloris Leachman's Ruth start to cry in the middle of one, it has real meaning.  We aren't meant to feel that meaning by it being accented by a score.  It's uncomfortable and sad.  She is so good here, the last scene she share with Timothy Bottoms' Sonny, ugh, it breaks your heart.  Between her and Ben Johnson's Sam, you can see why they won supporting Oscars for their respective roles. When Ben takes Sonny and Billy fishing down to pond that has nothing but turtles, he tells a story about the time he spent with a married girl that he loved.  It's wistful and just another piece of the story of this dying town.  I can't imagine this film not being in black it white, it was the perfect choice.  You can feel the bleakness of the town, the dust, the grease in the diner, it's all there. 

I loved this film, and so did my husband, we can't stop discussing it.  Thank you, Jeff, for finally knocking this off my List of Shame and giving me what will most likely be a new entry into my Top 100.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #699 on: October 31, 2017, 06:57:37 AM »
Be careful, you don't want to get on her bad side.

It's okay, my best friend is a vampire in his twenties. He'll kick her ass.

love