love

Author Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2  (Read 4138 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 01:03:34 PM »
I like Kurt Russell, but I didn't think he did well in this role.  Just not his kind of character, I guess.

The film, however, I loved, and it certainly would be near the top of my list of MU films, probably second after the first Avengers movie.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

MattDrufke

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 07:52:34 AM »
I think even the biggest fan of this film can agree that if you're going to like this film, it's going to come from how much you enjoy the characters as opposed to the story. Because, while this is supposed to be a tale about saving the galaxy, there's not a lot of meat here. Fortunately, there's enough fun character dynamic to keep this thing going.
@ihatemattdrufke

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 06:24:22 AM »
The Ego scenes are definitely the weakest bits of GotG2. I dunno, supervillains in general are pretty boring, right? You've seen one nihilistic megalomaniac, you've seen 'em all. I'm also not a big Kurt Russell guy.

But that's only because everyone does the exact same villain. Surely if they put all their pusling brains together the writers of Hollywood can come up with a superhero movie villain that does not want to conquer or destroy the world/universe? Like an eco-terrorist who is trying save the planet but leaves a trail of bodies in his wake ; or a media mogul who manipulates a wealthy nation for his own purposes ; or a politician who sort of has a really good point but takes his "at whatever cost" philosophy a touch too literally ; or a guy who got superpowers somehow and created a cult around himself as a new messiah ; or a guy who does want to destroy the universe, but has a unique, interesting reason for doing so, like Mads could have been, had they just gone 5 bloody minutes into the whole « killing time » thing.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 09:08:31 AM »
Surely if they put all their pusling brains together the writers of Hollywood can come up with a superhero movie villain that does not want to conquer or destroy the world/universe? Like an eco-terrorist who is trying save the planet but leaves a trail of bodies in his wake ; or a media mogul who manipulates a wealthy nation for his own purposes ; or a politician who sort of has a really good point but takes his "at whatever cost" philosophy a touch too literally ; or a guy who got superpowers somehow and created a cult around himself as a new messiah ; or a guy who does want to destroy the universe, but has a unique, interesting reason for doing so, like Mads could have been, had they just gone 5 bloody minutes into the whole « killing time » thing.

Those all sound pretty familiar, actually. Or is that the point and you're making a joke?

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 09:45:47 AM »
It's not. Quick look at the MCU list of movies, and they're almost all about taking over or destroying something, getting rich or getting revenge. The police state of Winter Soldier is perhaps the most original one.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 04:00:58 AM »
Who's the better character: Kurt Russell in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 or Nick Nolte in Hulk?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 04:51:41 AM »
I think Nolte, but I barely remember that movie.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 09:27:05 AM »
Who's the better character: Kurt Russell in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 or Nick Nolte in Hulk?

pixote
I read this in Recent Posts and thought "this is the dumbest poll ever."

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 09:28:32 AM »
1SO, did you review Guardians 2? And Wonder Woman, for that matter?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 09:36:51 AM »
Didn't review Guardians 2, but I liked it. Nothing insightful to say. Just re-watched the first film and had forgotten how many hints are in there about Quill's father. Also all the characters had their look tweaked a little between films.

Haven't seen Wonder Woman.