love

Author Topic: #637: Top 5 Movie Military Leaders / War Machine  (Read 788 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
#637: Top 5 Movie Military Leaders / War Machine
« on: June 02, 2017, 11:47:18 AM »

Inspired by Gen. Stanley McChrystal's dramatic fall from grace in 2010 following a Rolling Stone profile, the new WAR MACHINE from Netflix puts a scowling Brad Pitt in McChrystal's boots for its Afghanistan-set satire. Despite an impressive ensemble cast, Adam and Josh agree that the film has a challenging time finding the right tone. But they also agree that a trio of actors best known for iconic work in the 80s make the most of their screen time. That review, plus the Top 5 Movie Military Leaders.

Listen here.
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Racebannon99

Re: #637: Top 5 Movie Military Leaders / War Machine
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 08:17:23 AM »
Two performances that I really like that did not make your list are

Damian Lewis as Maj Winters in Bamd of Brothers.

Kenneth Brannagh as Col Collins in 10 Days to War.

I am retired Army (23 years) and Band of Brothers is the series that is always mentioned as the thing to see for military leaders. Winters is the quintessential everyman leader who is trying to do the right thing for his soldiers and to end the war. Damian embodies this guy.

Brannagh's speech to his troops just prior to the invasion of Iraq still gives me chills.

"Iraq is steeped in history. It is the site of the garden of Eden . The great flood. It is the birthplace of Abraham. You tread lightly. "

Brilliant!

love