Author Topic: Wonder Woman  (Read 5443 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Wonder Woman
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 08:42:36 AM »
And for the love of Zeus, pick one logic and stick to it.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2017, 08:48:45 AM »
I just want more subtitles in big action movies so I can call BS on all the people who say they can't watch foreign films because of the subtitles.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 08:51:50 AM »
Why would you want to? Avoiding subtitles is at least as bad as avoiding movies without big explosions in them.

ststevens

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2017, 01:25:30 PM »
I think the ending would have been better if they hadn't killed off Ludendorf at the beginning of the sequence. I actually was a fan of the initial introduction of Ares - I liked the idea of him acting as just a catalyst for humanity's darker impulses, and I liked David Thewlis' calm, quiet reveal (though I still don't really understand his whole "I'm gonna help arrange an armistace so the humans can undermine it" plan). But then they just went ahead and turned him into a generic armored hulk who looked indistinguishable from several other DC and Marvel villains. I think if they'd left Ludendorf alive, and had him lead an assault of heavy weaponry against Diana while Ares just stands off to the side, calmly building up the mayhem, it would have gelled more with the concept of war that had been running throughout the film.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »
After the first scene with David Thewlis, my wife whispers to me, "He's the real bad guy."  I whispered back that I couldn't accept that because he's such a great character actor and I love his other characters.  At the end, she tells me, "Told ja."

I believe that Diana's epiphany of the corruption of humanity holds despite her having killed the "wrong" Ares.  It is just that Steve's sacrifice helped her understand the dual moralities of humanity, and that the only hope is in love.  The killing of the Germans is to show how she too gets caught up in the corruption of war.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2017, 11:57:10 PM »
Oh yeah, I knew Thewlis was the bad guy almost immediately. If only because you could tell there was going to be a "surprise" bad guy and he was the most likely candidate.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 12:12:47 AM »
After the first scene with David Thewlis, my wife whispers to me, "He's the real bad guy."  I whispered back that I couldn't accept that because he's such a great character actor and I love his other characters.  At the end, she tells me, "Told ja."
My wife did the same. I just didn't want to accept it because they were so thorough at setting up Danny Huston and Doctor Poison to the point where I didn't want and no longer needed a surprise villain.

I wish Wonder Woman didn't have her lengthy internal struggle while holding a tank over her head. It's one of those things I don't like about DC. The characters lack vulnerability so that WW can get thrown all around the airfield without a mark on her bare skin and she can just hold a tank over her head while debating the decision of her life.  Compare that to Hulk tossing Loki about until even he has difficulty moving from the imprint his body has made in the floor.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2017, 01:39:16 AM »
I saw it a mile away. The look he gives her is all I needed. Excellent foreshadowing. Very subtle.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 03:28:52 AM »
Mrs oldkid high-fives Mrs 1SO.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2017, 04:15:13 AM »
I never knew your wives were all part of the same club.

love