Author Topic: #640: The Beguiled / Top 5 Sofia Coppola Moments  (Read 269 times)

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
#640: The Beguiled / Top 5 Sofia Coppola Moments
« on: June 30, 2017, 11:47:38 AM »

Nearly 15 years after its release, "Lost in Translation" remains Sofia Coppola’s best-known film. (She won a Best Screenplay Oscar for it in 2004.) But with the four films she's made since then ("Marie Antoinette," "Somewhere," "The Bling Ring" and now "The Beguiled") she's compiled one of the most distinctive filmographies of the 21st century. THE BEGUILED is a very Coppola remake of the 1971 Don Siegel/Clint Eastwood collaboration set during the Civil War at a Virginia girls school. It stars Nicole Kidman, Elle Fanning, Colin Farrell and Coppola regular Kirsten Dunst. It won Coppola the Best Directing Prize at Cannes back in May. This week, Coppola skeptic Angelica Jade Bastien (Vulture) joins Josh for a review of the film along with their Top 5 Coppola Scenes.

Listen here.
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

AliceGuyBlache

• Currently Fathoming... Can't Fathom
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
Re: #640: The Beguiled / Top 5 Sofia Coppola Moments
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 07:43:36 PM »
Damn! Angelica dropping the hot takes! Need that GET OUT piece.

There's a lot of great scenes in the unmentioned SOMEWHERE. My favorite has to be that small moment when they come back to the Chateau Marmont and fall asleep on the couch in the lobby. Sweet, beautiful, glorious.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 08:56:34 PM »
"Teddy Bear" and the Strokes sequences are the best parts of Somewhere, which is my favorite Sofia.

Anyhow, I devoured this episode after going to see the film earlier today. Really loved the reactions, and I agree with a lot of Angelica's points. I'd heard a little chatter about the topic of race being absent before the film came out, and it seemed puzzling to me, or at the very least overly harsh and in conflict with what it seemed like Coppola was going after, but her observation about the state of the house and the perspective through which we view the film spoke volumes about the presence of slavery in the film.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 12:13:35 AM »
Weird to hear a (former) regular from the boards become such a lightning rod for disagreement, though I agree with what was said by Josh and Angelica. Corey points up what the movie doesn't do and then goes after it for that, when he should be focusing (like the show does) on why Coppola made that decision, conscious or not.

That brief detour about Get Out is like a cliffhanger that will likely never be resolved. Angelica spoke with great passion, but her brevity left me wanting to hear her out.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 02:09:16 AM »
Hamster hasn't really changed.  More heat than light.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

ststevens

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 07:11:24 PM »
Angelica was terrific, wonderful to hear her on the show again. Would love for her to join the list of regular contributors to the show along with Michael Phillips and the Next Picture Show gang.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 08:04:09 PM »
Angelica is a wonderful presenter.  I'd love to hear her talk about Get Out!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 12:31:12 AM »
Angelica is a wonderful presenter.  I'd love to hear her talk about Get Out!

Agreed, I felted teased by the podcast, I believe they mentioned that they should have that discussion sometime but you know those things never happen once the moment is gone
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 12:15:11 PM »
Angelica was fabulous! What a great discussion. Her expanded thoughts on the film are in Vulture today. So good. http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/the-beguiled-subtly-tackles-race-even-when-you-dont-see-it.html

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 06:25:21 PM »
FroHam has been published by Slate, Esquire, and Vice? Good for him!
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

love