Author Topic: Top 5 Films from the Marvel Cinematic Universe  (Read 4373 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Top 5 Films from the Marvel Cinematic Universe
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 04:19:07 PM »
The Avengers
Iron Man
Captain America: The First Avenger

Captain America: Winter Soldier
Captain America: Civil War

2. Yes (have seen them all except for Guardians 2)

3. No

4. Any films below my number one could quite easily be knocked down a peg. New Thor has a better chance than Spidey.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:47:12 PM by philip918 »

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 05:11:46 PM »
Yea, the villains are what brings down so many Marvel films for me. Loki is probably the only good villain they've produced. The rest are just flavor of the week.

Also, assuming Iron Man 2's poop joke is a big reason for your high ranking.

Age of Ultron and CIvil War have decent villains, but Loki is the only great villain they've had, and his relationship with Thor is basically the only thing worthwile about Thor: The Dark World.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 05:45:13 PM »
Iron Man 1-3
Doctor Strange
The Avengers

2. Seen 13/15. Unseen: Hulk, Guardians 2
3. Well, I didn't dislike them, so - no?
4. Unlikely. The two Thors were pretty much the bottom of the barrel.

Iron Man probably benefited from coming out before that whole MCU/DCU/whatever thing became just an annoying, noisy mess. With the exception of Guardians, I've seen all of these films only once, and I think it's safe to say that a rewatch would do none of them any favors.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 08:38:49 PM »
So I've seen 12/15, and half of those get a mild recommendation from me. I wouldn't have to include any films I dislike to generate a top five, though my general cutoff for a Top 5 list is films that grade B or higher, so I'd consider this a very weak top five. I think of these movies less as films than as episodes of a really expensive tv show. And like with most tv shows, the range of quality hovers narrowly between passable entertainment and not quite successful entries. No real highs or lows.

pixote

Since you see this list as a weak top five, how does it compare to your opinion of other long-running franchises, like Muppets, Star Trek (made a mistake in my earlier post) or James Bond? Is there a series for you about the same length that boasts a considerably more solid Top Five?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 08:42:03 PM »
Iron Man probably benefited from coming out before that whole MCU/DCU/whatever thing became just an annoying, noisy mess. With the exception of Guardians, I've seen all of these films only once, and I think it's safe to say that a rewatch would do none of them any favors.

I've been debating a rewatch and perhaps one day I'll do it, but not One Chapter at a Time because then the many problems with the brand would probably lower my overall opinion of them. I have considered doing the analysis for Doctor Strange because I think it's superior version of the plot they already did in Iron Man, like if Pixar were to redo Toy Story with today's technology and experience.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 10:14:51 PM »
Harry Potter offes a stronger top five, if that counts. 007 is probably on par with MCU (but I couldn't say for sure without a marathon). No idea about The Muppets, really, though that particular reference seems very specific to you, lol. Star Trek might average out the same, but with a combination of highs (evens) and lows (odds). Same with Nightmare on Elm Street.

Isn't someone marathoning Godzilla soon? That franchise would make for interesting competition, though is suspect that MCU had the edge.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 11:06:43 PM »
Harry Potter offes a stronger top five, if that counts.
After the 5 Fantastic Beasts films the Potter series will be up to 13 and even if the remaining FB films completely suck, I agree the Top 5 will be superior.

I mentioned The Muppets because of this wikipedia page of series that compare to MCU in quantity. Muppets are one of the less obscure series.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 05:41:33 AM »
I dunno, I'd have to rewatch The Avengers, Ant-Man, Civil War and Iron-Man and the prospect of doing that just makes me roll my eyes.

Sounds like a brilliant Sunday afternoon.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 05:50:01 AM »
Unranked within each tier:

B-
The Avengers
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Iron Man 2
Captain America: The Winter Soldier

pixote

Iron Man 2? I mean, I know we're all entlitled to our own opinions and stuff, but are you sure you didn't just fall asleep during the movie and dream up a better version of it - which, really, isn't that diffcult to do ?

I look forward to hearing what your mom has to say about Homecoming.

I've been debating a rewatch and perhaps one day I'll do it, but not One Chapter at a Time because then the many problems with the brand would probably lower my overall opinion of them. I have considered doing the analysis for Doctor Strange because I think it's superior version of the plot they already did in Iron Man, like if Pixar were to redo Toy Story with today's technology and experience.

I rewatched Iron Man last year. It was still great. Heaps of problems but heaps of fun too.

Harry Potter offes a stronger top five, if that counts.
After the 5 Fantastic Beasts films the Potter series will be up to 13 and even if the remaining FB films completely suck, I agree the Top 5 will be superior.

I mentioned The Muppets because of this wikipedia page of series that compare to MCU in quantity. Muppets are one of the less obscure series.

You're both crazy, the MCU Top 5 is streets ahead of the HP Top 5. Those movies are all alike and the action's a mess.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 07:59:41 AM »
I dunno, I'd have to rewatch The Avengers, Ant-Man, Civil War and Iron-Man and the prospect of doing that just makes me roll my eyes.

Sounds like a brilliant Sunday afternoon.
I mean, they're all enjoyable, I'd just rather rewatch other films I love.

love