love

Author Topic: I'm About to Start Something Pretty Intense  (Read 2663 times)

tjwells

• Elite Member
I'm About to Start Something Pretty Intense
« on: August 03, 2017, 07:54:27 AM »
Hey guys. I haven't been on this forum much in the past few years, but I figured if there was any place this might be appreciated, it would be here. I'm about to start a project to watch (up to) ten movies, from each year, from 1920 until I finish the project (probably 2030?). Here's a link to the Wordpress site I started to keep track/write reviews/thoughts/etc., if you're interested in following with me:

http://journeythroughthehistoryofcinema.wordpress.com

I'd love suggestions, if anyone has some, to add to the years where I have less than ten movies. Keep in mind I'm only picking movies I haven't already seen (with some exceptions, like The Red Shoes, which it's been so long since I've seen that I really want to re-watch it). The only other rule I had was one film max per director per year (which I have only broken once, in 1939, but I mean...c'mon) and that I wanted to include every Best Picture winner that I have yet to see.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: I'm About to Start Something Pretty Intense
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 07:56:32 AM »
There are Top 5 threads out there for every year since Methuselah. Good place to start.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 08:39:32 AM »
I love the idea of something like this. Very ambitious and thorough.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 08:46:00 AM »
Yeah. The toughest part is going to be sticking to it (goal is a minimum of two a week). It's hard enough now with school, I imagine when kids are added into the equation in a few years, I may waver a bit.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 08:52:37 AM »
Of course Corndog would love the idea of someone starting a 1,000 movie marathon. How's the Westerns going?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:08:49 AM »
Paused. Settling into the new house, then I'll start back up again :D
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 09:16:51 AM »
Why not before 1920? There are a lot of short silent films that would give you a good sense of how much the medium grew in 30 years. Plus you'd see films like Intolerance which are still astounding today.

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 11:36:13 AM »
Why not before 1920? There are a lot of short silent films that would give you a good sense of how much the medium grew in 30 years. Plus you'd see films like Intolerance which are still astounding today.

I'm sticking to features, just a personal choice. Also, I've seen Intolerance, Birth of a Nation, etc. I didn't really see anything pre-1920 that I thought I should add, though maybe I'll toss The Great Train Robbery on there.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 12:19:23 PM »
The idea awes me.  At first I was thinking, that ten films a year could be quite a bit.  And then I looked at the list by 35mm.  First, he doesn't have ten films a year, but 100 films a decade, allowing some flexibility in case some years need more love than others. I also noticed that his list is almost all English speaking films, which misses out a lot of films.  And you aren't choosing stuff you've already seen.  So ten films a year is great to make sure that you have a full representation of every year, which seems to be your goal.  And I see that you've given yourself ten years to do this project.  That is certainly doable.   100 or 110 films.  1SO does that in a month.  No problem :)

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 12:33:03 PM »
That is certainly doable.   100 or 110 films.  1SO does that in a month.  No problem :)

My next planned Marathon will cover about 1500 films. Should take me until the end of the decade.