Author Topic: Top 5 Blockbuster Trilogies  (Read 318 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Top 5 Blockbuster Trilogies
« on: August 23, 2017, 05:29:53 AM »
There is another Top 5 Trilogies thread but I wanted to compare trilogies without having the likes of Three Colours popping in and getting all the love. So looking only at action movies and the like, what are the best trilogies of movies ever?

(If you think this was inspired by the last Apes movie, you're right.)
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
Re: Top 5 Blockbuster Trilogies
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 07:54:17 AM »
I will start with Lord of the Rings as an opening bid.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 08:43:48 AM »
Three Colors Trilogy
The Koker Trilogy
Apu Trilogy
Andrej Wadja's War Trilogy
The Vengeance Trilogy

All blockbusters in my heart.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:55:14 AM by Sam the Cinema Snob »

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 09:07:30 AM »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 09:25:10 AM »
1. Toy Story
2. Star Wars: Original Trilogy
3. Lord of the Rings
4. Alien (1-3)
5. George Miller's Mad Max Trilogy (1, 2 and 4. He only directed the action of MM3)

HM: Mission: Impossible (3-5, the Bad Robot trilogy)
Captain America
The Coronetto Trilogy (which I think is only Blockbuster in the UK)
Rocky (I - III)

So, when Avengers: Infinity Wars comes out, will that be a trilogy even though it's spread across 4 movies?

Want to include Terminator for the spectacular first two films, but Cameron needs to come back to make a decent 3rd one.

Bourne is the only one I considered and then discounted for the first entry. The only trilogy to get better with each film.

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 09:31:13 AM »
I would not consider any three movies of the MCU to be a trilogy. They're part of a franchise and the Avengers movies are not a series of successive stories with narrative unity - they have episodes in between.

But you clearly do not abide by the same semantical thinking I do. Will you still consider the first 3 Toy Story movies a trilogy when the fourth one comes out? How do you rationalise separating those Alien movies from the rest of the franchise? Same question for MI and Rocky.

Your logic for Mad Max is dubious.

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 09:39:31 AM »
I would not consider any three movies of the MCU to be a trilogy. They're part of a franchise and the Avengers movies are not a series of successive stories with narrative unity - they have episodes in between.

But you clearly do not abide by the same semantical thinking I do. Will you still consider the first 3 Toy Story movies a trilogy when the fourth one comes out? How do you rationalise separating those Alien movies from the rest of the franchise? Same question for MI and Rocky.

Your logic for Mad Max is dubious.

Taking a three film chunk out of a series and calling that a trilogy makes sense, but I'd say you're right about non-consecutive films being a dubious entry.

I'd go Back to the Future & Cornetto Trilogies, with a mega-cheater entry of the Lord Of The Rings bonus materials.

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 09:42:54 AM »
If anyone's interested, the Cornetto movies made the following moneys worldwide:
Shaun - 30 million $
Hot - 80.5 million $
World's - 46 million $

According to BoxOffice Mojo.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 09:47:30 AM »
Iron Man stands apart. You can watch those three without needing any further knowledge of the outside MCU. His appearances in the other film are like guest star cameos and supporting roles.

Will you still consider the first 3 Toy Story movies a trilogy when the fourth one comes out?
Yes. The trilogy was made under John Lasseter's guidance before he left for Disney. Plus, like with Alien and Rocky, the first 3 films in any series form a trilogy.

Mission: Impossible is trickier, but III is where JJ Abrams and his company started producing the films. It's similar to making a James Bond trilogy by taking the first three films by Brosnan or Craig or saying that there is an Original Star Wars trilogy and now a new one. Or if James Cameron were to make a 3rd Terminator film we would finally have a Terminator trilogy.

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 10:02:24 AM »
The Craig movies are united by a continued plot/story. The only unity in the Brosnan movies is the actor, which is not the best grounds to separate any three of his movies from the rest and call that a trilogy.

IM3 is a direct reaction to the events of The Avengers, and Stark is the closest thing those movies have to a main character, probably on equal footing with one or two of the other Avengers, but still in the lead. Same for Civil War. 

You could not watch a Cameron Terminator trilogy on its own because if the new movie happens it will have to take into account all the other sequels. How can you have a trilogy that has this massive gap of events and information in it?