Author Topic: Top 5 Blockbuster Trilogies  (Read 4542 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Top 5 Blockbuster Trilogies
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 11:47:30 AM »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 12:15:59 PM »
IM3 is a direct reaction to the events of The Avengers, and Stark is the closest thing those movies have to a main character, probably on equal footing with one or two of the other Avengers, but still in the lead. Same for Civil War. 
IM3 is a direct result to what happens to Guy Pearce's character in the opening on IM3

You could not watch a Cameron Terminator trilogy on its own because if the new movie happens it will have to take into account all the other sequels.
Does it. I could name films that ignored the events of lesser films in the franchise, like Superman Returns.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 01:38:22 PM »
Is Superman Returns really supposed to be a sequel to the other four movies? If so, that makes it a poor sequel and I do not think it invalidates my point.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 11:01:32 PM »
LOTR
The "Before" trilogy
Star Wars
Man With No Name
Dark Knight

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 03:50:24 PM »
Mission: Impossible 3-5 would be my favorite "recently." Those are all super fun action movies and there's a bit of carry-over from each (that's kinda separate from the first two which are also worse movies).
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 04:19:45 AM »
Contrary to my belief no one's listed the Apes trilogy yet. I thought for sure 1SO would. Didn't he say something about it being the best current action franchise last year?

Also, no Hobbit?

Original Star Wars Trilogy
Lord of the Rings

The Dark Knight Trilogy
The Apes Trilogy
The Man with no Name Trilogy

Toy Story

The Cornetto Trilogy

Series that do not meet my definition of trilogy: Alien, Mad Max, MCU movies, MI, Rocky, Terminator, James Bond, other things

Series that do not meet my definition of blockbuster: the Before movies
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 10:23:06 AM »
The Man with No Name movies aren't really "blockbuster" either. They did well, but not "blockbuster" well.

Also not really a trilogy.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 10:28:01 AM »
Contrary to my belief no one's listed the Apes trilogy yet. I thought for sure 1SO would. Didn't he say something about it being the best current action franchise last year?
I didn't even consider the Apes trilogy and I think that's because I'm still feeling burned by the severe change of tone away from action adventure in the 3rd film. Much like back when Mad Max was a proper trilogy there were two great films followed by Thunderdome, which had the look and feel of Mad Max, but the story went to a place I never wanted Max to go, giving hope and saving children. It tainted the entire trilogy for me even though I wouldn't say Thunderdome is a bad film. It's just too radically different.

Series that do not meet my definition of trilogy: Alien, Mad Max, MCU movies, MI, Rocky, Terminator, James Bond, other things
I asked a friend at work for his favorite and his answer tickled me. "The Fast & Furious trilogy that contains both Paul Walker and The Rock."

Your exclusions are interesting because by your very reasons for excluding them...
Star Wars is a series of what will be 9 films. So calling your favorite the "Original" trilogy is the same as saying Rocky I - III or the first 3 Alien films.
Lord of the Rings stopped being a trilogy once Peter Jackson unleashed The Hobbit. It is now part of a series.
The Dark Knight trilogy are just 3 Batman movies from a large and ongoing franchise. By your own definition, not a trilogy.
The Apes... well you can see where I'm going. The 3 latest films even make sure to connect to the previous Blockbuster franchise. I can see excluding the Tim Burton film, but the other 8 films bust the definition of trilogy.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 10:38:21 AM »
Lord of the Rings stopped being a trilogy once Peter Jackson unleashed The Hobbit. It is now part of a series.

Nah, Tolkien's Lord of the Rings is still a trilogy, despite his having written The Hobbit.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 11:14:01 AM »
Yea, I view The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings as two separate trilogies which lie within the same universe. Not that I'm right or wrong, just how I've always viewed it.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."