Author Topic: Thief's Monthly Film Challenge 2019  (Read 1262 times)

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
Re: Thief's Monthly Film Challenge 2019
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2019, 07:57:37 AM »
...aaaand July's categories...

A film with the number 7 (Seven, Seventh, etc.) in its title (not a sequel):
A film with a title that starts with the letters M or N:
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #7 (i.e. 17, 27, 73): (see list here)
A film from the 1960s:
A musical:
A film from the Top 50 highest-grossing films list, or a "typical blockbuster":
A film about sharks (Shark Week):
A film from a Canadian director (Canada Day, July 1):
A film with "America" in its title (Independence Day, July 4):
A film from France (Bastille Day, July 14):
A film with the word "Moon" in its title (Moon Day, July 20):
A film from Philip Seymour Hoffman (born July 23):
A film prominently featuring computers or IT employees (SysAdmin Appreciation Day, July 26):
A western film (Day of the Cowboy, July 27):
A film about friends or friendship in general (Int'l Day of Friendship, July 30):

As usual, recommendations are welcome.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2019, 08:32:02 AM »

[...]

Assuming you haven't seen all of these (you don't have them marked as such on Letterboxd at any rate):

A film with the number 7 (Seven, Seventh, etc.) : The Magnificent Seven may not be as good as the Kurosawa original, but it's pretty fun.
A film with a title that starts with the letters M or N: Marty, the only film ever to win both the Best Picture Oscar and the Palme d'Or. A charming, heartfelt romantic drama starring Ernest Borgnine.
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #7 (i.e. 17, 27, 73): Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, aka Princess Mononoke, but sci-fi.
A film from the 1960s: High and Low, which I consider Kurosawa's best film and is solidly in my top 10 of all time.
A musical: Cabaret
A film from the Top 50 highest-grossing films list, or a "typical blockbuster": Fantasia
A film about sharks (Shark Week): The Shallows is ok. Not my favorite genre past Jaws.
A film from a Canadian director (Canada Day, July 1): Les mauvaises herbes, a fun crime comedy from Québec.
A film with "America" in its title (Independence Day, July 4): Mistress America is pretty good.
A film from France (Bastille Day, July 14): I'll go with Cyrano de Bergerac, because nothing is as quintessentially French to me as Cyrano.
A film with the word "Moon" in its title (Moon Day, July 20): Moonrise Kingdom if you're into Wes Anderson at all.
A film from Philip Seymour Hoffman (born July 23): Mary and Max
A film prominently featuring computers or IT employees (SysAdmin Appreciation Day, July 26): Her, though that's more about AI than computers.
A western film (Day of the Cowboy, July 27): Rio Bravo
A film about friends or friendship in general (Int'l Day of Friendship, July 30): The World's End

Some of these overlap with the top 100 Club, wink wink nudge nudge.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2019, 08:42:15 AM »

[...]

Assuming you haven't seen all of these (you don't have them marked as such on Letterboxd at any rate):

A film with the number 7 (Seven, Seventh, etc.) : The Magnificent Seven may not be as good as the Kurosawa original, but it's pretty fun.
A film with a title that starts with the letters M or N: Marty, the only film ever to win both the Best Picture Oscar and the Palme d'Or. A charming, heartfelt romantic drama starring Ernest Borgnine.
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #7 (i.e. 17, 27, 73): Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, aka Princess Mononoke, but sci-fi.
A film from the 1960s: High and Low, which I consider Kurosawa's best film and is solidly in my top 10 of all time.
A musical: Cabaret
A film from the Top 50 highest-grossing films list, or a "typical blockbuster": Fantasia
A film about sharks (Shark Week): The Shallows is ok. Not my favorite genre past Jaws.
A film from a Canadian director (Canada Day, July 1): Les mauvaises herbes, a fun crime comedy from Québec.
A film with "America" in its title (Independence Day, July 4): Mistress America is pretty good.
A film from France (Bastille Day, July 14): I'll go with Cyrano de Bergerac, because nothing is as quintessentially French to me as Cyrano.
A film with the word "Moon" in its title (Moon Day, July 20): Moonrise Kingdom if you're into Wes Anderson at all.
A film from Philip Seymour Hoffman (born July 23): Mary and Max
A film prominently featuring computers or IT employees (SysAdmin Appreciation Day, July 26): Her, though that's more about AI than computers.
A film about friends or friendship in general (Int'l Day of Friendship, July 30): The World's End

Some of these overlap with the top 100 Club, wink wink nudge nudge.

Yep. Haven't seen none of those. A couple of those have been on my radar for a while, so your recommendation bumps them up a bit. Thanks!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2019, 08:46:07 AM »
Seven Samurai (1954) Now this is where I will probably lose some cinephile points... I liked it, but I really wasn't blown away by it. Not sure if it was the height of expectation after so many people here and on #FilmTwitter hyped it up for me, or because of the rush to just finish all 15 films after a really hectic and busy month, or the fact that I kept dozing off while watching it, not because of the film, but because I was CINECAST!in' tired (see "hectic and busy month"). I'm already planning a proper rewatch where I can sit through and digest it better, but I really like all of its moving parts (the direction, the story, the performances, Mifune, etc). I just wasn't particularly blown away by the whole. Grade: Pending
That was my first experience too, and I also felt it was expectations. Now the film is solidly in my Top 100, and I can't tell what caused the change, but it's such solid storytelling I feel I could watch the film monthly, never get bored and discover something new each time.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2019, 09:01:11 AM »
Here is June's tally...
Let's see how I did without trying.

A film with the number 6 (Six, Sixth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel): XXX
A film with a title that starts with the letters K or L: Killing Them Softly
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #6 (i.e. 16, 64, 216): Treasure of the Sierra Madre (oddly, this is currently#126 Incendies is now #124)
A film from the 1950s: The World in His Arms (1952)
A horror film: The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
A film with an the word "Summer" in its title: XXX
A film that features basketball or hockey prominently (NBA Finals/Stanley Cup) XXX
A film about LGBTQ+ lifestyles or with prominent LGBTQ+ characters (LGBT Pride Month): If only I had watched The Danish Girl a couple of days earlier...
A film from a Caribbean-American filmmaker (Nat'l Caribbean American Month): XXX
A film with an the word "Kiss" in its title (Nat'l Kissing Day, June 6): XXX
A World War II film (D-Day, June 6): Battle Cry
A film mostly set in the beach or the ocean (World Ocean Day, June 8 ): Captain Horatio Hornblower
A film prominently featuring fathers (Father's Day, June 16): The Penalty (1941)
A film from Billy Wilder (born June 22): XXX
A film that won the MTV Best Movie Award (June 17): XXX

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2019, 09:02:40 AM »
Seven Samurai (1954) Now this is where I will probably lose some cinephile points... I liked it, but I really wasn't blown away by it. Not sure if it was the height of expectation after so many people here and on #FilmTwitter hyped it up for me, or because of the rush to just finish all 15 films after a really hectic and busy month, or the fact that I kept dozing off while watching it, not because of the film, but because I was CINECAST!in' tired (see "hectic and busy month"). I'm already planning a proper rewatch where I can sit through and digest it better, but I really like all of its moving parts (the direction, the story, the performances, Mifune, etc). I just wasn't particularly blown away by the whole. Grade: Pending
That was my first experience too, and I also felt it was expectations. Now the film is solidly in my Top 100, and I can't tell what caused the change, but it's such solid storytelling I feel I could watch the film monthly, never get bored and discover something new each time.

That's good to read. I'm already planning a rewatch, maybe even this month, depending on how tight the schedule is. We'll see.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2019, 09:10:39 AM »
[...]

A film with a title that starts with the letters M or N: Mistaken for Strangers
A film from the 1960s: The Collector, recently reviewed by Bondo and an All Time favorite of mine.
A musical: Meet the Feebles, subversive puppet musical from Peter Jackson
A film about sharks (Shark Week): I like The Shallows.
A film with "America" in its title (Independence Day, July 4): The American Scream
A film from Philip Seymour Hoffman (born July 23): Mary and Max - 2nd this!
A film prominently featuring computers or IT employees (SysAdmin Appreciation Day, July 26): I'm Still Here is a short but it's Spike Jonze and Great
A western film (Day of the Cowboy, July 27): I could recommend 50 of these easy. Silverado is great fun.

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2019, 08:01:38 AM »

A film with a title that starts with the letters M or N: Mistaken for Strangers
A film from the 1960s: The Collector, recently reviewed by Bondo and an All Time favorite of mine.
A musical: Meet the Feebles, subversive puppet musical from Peter Jackson
A film about sharks (Shark Week): I like The Shallows.
A film with "America" in its title (Independence Day, July 4): The American Scream
A film from Philip Seymour Hoffman (born July 23): Mary and Max - 2nd this!
A film prominently featuring computers or IT employees (SysAdmin Appreciation Day, July 26): I'm Still Here is a short but it's Spike Jonze and Great
A western film (Day of the Cowboy, July 27): I could recommend 50 of these easy. Silverado is great fun.

I haven't seen any of these so thanks. I'll keep them in mind.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2019, 11:12:59 AM »
A film with the number 7 (Seven, Seventh, etc.) in its title (not a sequel): The Seventh Victim
A film with a title that starts with the letters M or N: so many choices!! let's say... El Norte
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #7 (i.e. 17, 27, 73): Ran
A film from the 1960s: again, too many to choose from. how about Funeral Parade of Roses?
A musical: Meet Me In St. Louis
A film from the Top 50 highest-grossing films list, or a "typical blockbuster": Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
A film about sharks (Shark Week): I got nothing
A film from a Canadian director (Canada Day, July 1): ironically, The Americanization of Emily
A film with "America" in its title (Independence Day, July 4): Leningrad Cowboys Go America
A film from France (Bastille Day, July 14): A Man Escaped
A film with the word "Moon" in its title (Moon Day, July 20): Paper Moon
A film from Philip Seymour Hoffman (born July 23): Boogie Nights
A film prominently featuring computers or IT employees (SysAdmin Appreciation Day, July 26): Brazil
A film about friends or friendship in general (Int'l Day of Friendship, July 30): Linda Linda Linda

Only one this time (Paper Moon) not from my top 250, but I just don't have any shark movies to recommend besides the most obvious one. That's a pretty narrow genre.
Switchboard
Watched 2019

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Poor  |  Crap

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2019, 11:53:52 AM »
I can recommend The Shallows and Open Water is Okay. Deep Blue Sea would probably be next.