Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 1099 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 10:46:03 PM »
With such a vast number of films I would be tempted to employ a strict 5 minute cut off. If it sucks or is only average after 5 minutes move on. Every time you sit down to watch something expect it to take 5 or 6 movies before landing on something that you want to continue. Just go on a ruthless run and gun tear through these filmographies.

You won't be able to claim you've "seen" everything in the ICheckMovies sense of the word, but you'll keep your tempo up, and you'll get a taste of a lot of things in a little time (which is it's own kind of knowledge). And the things you do see in their entirety, you'll be seeing because you're enjoying them.

Imagine for instance a director whose work you haven't seen at all and they have like 15 films. Traditionally one would select a couple films to watch, hope they they are representative, and then see them through to completion. It may be that you don't end up enjoying either film and you're interest in delving further into the director's filmography is low, and so you move on to someone else (hoping, but also always wondering, if what you did see was characteristic of that director's style, and that you haven't missed something you may have loved).

OR you could watch 5 minutes of all 15 films and get some quick answers. Treat it like a wine tasting. Generally a quick sip is enough to know whether you should buy the bottle. You're looking for films that immediately fire you up. You may blow by one or two that may have developed later on, but in that way you're no worse off than the other approach which leaves some movies unwatched altogether.

I dunno, maybe it feels a little disrespectful or unfair to see 2 minutes of a Frank Capra movie and be like "f this" but whatever.  If he's never made a movie you've liked yet, and you're already scraping the bottom of his barrel, do you need more than 2 minutes?

Generally speaking, good movies don't start by being bad movies, so you can't go too wrong imo. :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 10:47:35 PM by smirnoff »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 11:43:55 PM »
I've always been an advocate of finishing what I start because I've seen a number of terrible movies with a great scene in the middle or even at the very end. I guess I've always watched cinema Chapter-by-Chapter and it all melts together into one gooey ball of camera technique and sound. It can't be compared to a wine tasting because the flavor keeps changing.

My recent Horror Marathon gave me the confidence in my endurance to tackle this massive list. I wish there was a way to put all directors on an equal playing field, but there are obviously ones I'm more interested in and ones I'm already looking to do the bare minimum. And if you think by that I mean threads started by goodguy and roujin, those are some of the blindspots I'm most curious to get to. (You can thank my viewings of The Wait, Cosmos and Kosmos for that.) The directors I'm barely interested in were started by people who are no longer here to discuss their decision to start the thread. It's building a room with no light and no windows hoping someone will come visit and then abandoning the premises.

The parts for me about this Marathon that I'm uncomfortable with is that reviews will be posted on the Director threads, so without a Marathon reason to post here this thread will likely sink down in the next few weeks, and I'm working without a playlist I can stand back and look at, with titles to look forward to and a general overall number of films. I tried a couple of times and it's futile to try and decide which films and how many for a director I won't get to for weeks/months. I am building a Letterboxd list of titles watched as I go, but that's in Private right now.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 12:35:54 AM »
I agree with oldkid, this is scary.

I used to be a completist but then I asked myself "if I didn't pay for this drink/meal/etc. would I keep drinking/eating it?" It's always no. So I stop. Maybe once I've eaten almost EVERYTHING like 1SO that could change.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 01:20:45 AM »
"if I didn't pay for this drink/meal/etc. would I keep drinking/eating it?"

Will you torture yourself with something horrible just because you paid for it?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 01:35:38 PM »
By my current count, there are 778 director threads to work through. I won't be doing a separate look at 1980s Woody Allen or Herzog documentaries. I've already done 6.
Hitchcock, Alfred
Allen, Woody
Fellini, Federico
Spielberg, Steven
Lee, Ang
Coppola, Francis Ford

Up Next are...
Wilder, Billy - I have Kiss me Stupid and Fedora
Bluth, Don - I can't believe he was created so early
Scorsese, Martin
Malick, Terrence
Soderbergh, Steven

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 01:52:14 PM »
Wilder, Billy - I have Kiss me Stupid and Fedora
Bluth, Don - I can't believe he was created so early
Scorsese, Martin
Malick, Terrence
Soderbergh, Steven

As you announce upcoming directors, I'd be curious to see a list of your unseen films, perhaps with any reason you've avoided them until now. Or maybe just, like, a one-line summary of your current relationship with that director, expectations, etc.

pixote
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 02:33:04 PM »
That's a fine idea. Perhaps a post for each director here before (and maybe after) I dive into their thread.

I'll work on refining the format as I go.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:11:08 PM by 1SO »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 04:49:24 PM »
Following along

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 05:58:52 PM »
Me, too.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Alfred Hitchcock
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 09:26:21 PM »
Alfred Hitchcock Ranked List

Certainly a master and the perfect counter to Stanley Kubrick, a filmmaker who only made few films, worked in different genres and most of his output is considered classic. Hitch made dozens of pictures, mostly thrillers and his greatness is diluted outside of a core group of masterpieces. Everyone who loves Hitch, loves to sift through for the hidden gem, which is where I find recommendations that lead me to Topaz, Under Capricorn and Family Plot.

Except for The Lodger, 39 Steps and The Man Who Knew Too Much, I have not seen his films from before 1935. After that there's Jamaica Inn, which I suppose would be next, though it's at the bottom of my priorities, and I'm more interested in Charles Laughton and Maureen O'Hara than the direction. I'd be more interested in watching episodes of television he directed.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:45:11 PM by 1SO »