Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85482 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2017, 09:52:38 AM »
I think you misunderstand who the Red Shoes is really about.  ;)
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2017, 10:06:58 AM »
I actually really like that about the Archers' movies. They grow on you. By the end I'm so wrapped up in it that I don't even remember how I got there. This goes back to whether you want a movie to start with a bang or end with one. Obviously the best would be bangs all the way through, but I lean toward the ending if I have to choose.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2017, 03:40:44 PM »
The way they do it is best for re-watches.  We then know where it's going to end up, and we can add all the details to the overall direction.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Brian De Palma
« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2017, 12:42:18 AM »
#29. Brian De Palma Ranked List

With 6 titles in my Essentials, Brian De Palma used to be my favorite director working. You'll notice I've even seen many of De Palma's early films and his unpopular comedies.

Like a relationship we broke up during an advance screening of Snake Eyes (with the original ending). For the opening dazzle I was in love and as the film went on, the flaws became harder to ignore and by the end I was dazed and depressed. I didn't want to believe it and looked for the good in Mission to Mars and thought Femme Fatale might be De Palma getting back on his feet, but The Black Dahlia was terrible and Redacted was Casualties of War remade on nothing but bad choices.

Because of that, I haven't seen Passion, but I'm ready to do it. I'd also like to see Murder à la Mod, though I don't know if I'm going to be able to find it. Most excitedly, I'm going to re-watch Raising Cain, which of the ones I really enjoy is the one I remember the least.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2017, 12:44:47 AM »
I hope your review of Raising Cain gives it the smirnoff treatment it so richly deserves.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2017, 03:40:55 AM »
I've watched four DePalma's and they're okay at best. I've never been much curious to watch more of them.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2017, 01:31:48 AM »
I've watched four DePalma's and they're okay at best. I've never been much curious to watch more of them.

I love this because no matter how many you've seen, if you say you haven't seen 1 or 10 or whatever, someone will come along and say you haven't seen the good ones. :)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2017, 01:34:55 PM »

I love this because no matter how many you've seen, if you say you haven't seen 1 or 10 or whatever, someone will come along and say you haven't seen the good ones. :)
I'm not sure that applies to De Palma. You're either into his style or you're not. If you are than you can appreciate the bad ones for their stylistic touches. If you're not that even the best ones will annoy you. The Untouchables is perhaps the best balance of De Palma restrained with many moments that are distinctly his, but it carries all his flaws as well if you know what to be looking for. DH's top 2 De Palma are Carrie and Scarface and I can't recommend a title that will make him glad he watched another. That said, I think of DH forced himself to watch more he would find that 2-4 of them are okay.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2017, 07:54:19 AM »
Yea, he's deals in this kind of artsy shlock that I think he is for a certain type of film fan. When he clicks with you, the result is masterful and there's not quite much out there like it. But if he doesn't, you'll probably be super off-put.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2017, 09:50:19 AM »
I enjoyed some of the touches in Carrie. Scarface might warrant a rewatch but Untouchables basically bored 16 year old me.