Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 13774 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #180 on: December 14, 2017, 06:57:59 PM »
You saw enough. Itís basically 3 sequences - train, tenement village, horses and motorcycles across the desert - and each is filled with stylish excitement, similar to Fury Road, but each sequence is executed the same way and the novelty wears off faster than it should.

You can tell Iím torn because a great director should sculpt individual moments to create an A-Z experience. However, most directors canít even pull off moments like this in the first place.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #181 on: December 15, 2017, 03:46:29 AM »
Now I am much less intrigued about it.
ę Society is dumb. Art is everything. Ľ - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Akira Kurosawa
« Reply #182 on: December 25, 2017, 01:13:05 AM »
#41. Akira Kurosawa Ranked List

My Kurosawa Marathon from 5 years ago covered this ground thoroughly. No argument from me about him being one of the Top Directors of All Time. At the time, I was unable to find The Quiet Duel (1949), so I'll look for that again.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #183 on: December 25, 2017, 05:53:57 AM »
Huh, you've got Yojimbo ranked lower than Sanjuro?
ę Society is dumb. Art is everything. Ľ - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Robert Zemeckis
« Reply #184 on: December 27, 2017, 01:30:27 AM »
#42. Robert Zemeckis Ranked List

When I was first getting into film, Zemeckis was one of my favorite directors. Romancing the Stone was my first favorite movie of all time, beaten the next year when I first watched Back to the Future. Roger Rabbit 3 years later proved he was better than Spielberg to me. There were hiccups after that, but it was abandoning live action for performance capture animation that turned me. (Those dead eyes.)

Looking over what I haven't seen reveals some interesting options. I've already decided to bit the bullet and watch his version of A Christmas Carol. I've seen a little of I Wanna Hold Your Hand and I'm not going to be watching it in full. There's an episode of Tales From the Crypt called "You, Murderer" which says it stars archive footage of Humphrey Bogart. I imagine this is similar to JFK being in Forrest Gump. I'm hoping to find it if only to spot the Bogart movies they take from to splice this performance together.

While I'm interested in something called Robert Zemeckis on Smoking, Drinking and Drugging in the 20th Century: In Pursuit of Happiness, I'm not going to work too hard to find it. I will however be watching a short film Zemeckis made for the BTTF trilogy on Blu-Ray called Doc Brown Saves the World. I haven't seen his two most recent films, The Walk and Allied, and I'm honestly not all that interested in either of them.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Robert Zemeckis
« Reply #185 on: December 27, 2017, 08:23:34 AM »
I've seen a little of I Wanna Hold Your Hand and I'm not going to be watching it in full.

Why not (and why isn't it in the poll)? It's not bad. Eddie Deezen! Wendy Jo Sperber!
Switchboard
Watched 2019

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Poor  |  Crap

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #186 on: December 27, 2017, 09:37:58 AM »
In the poll I replaced it with 'other' because I like to have that option, especially since Zemeckis has directed a lot of non-features, and in both polls Hand never received a single vote.

I find the career of Eddie Deezen fascinating (the pre-Gilbert Gottfried), but what I had watched of the movie was annoying and too broad to want to watch the rest. (Similar to a reaction some screwball comedies give you.)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Michelangelo Antonioni
« Reply #187 on: December 27, 2017, 11:52:05 PM »
#43. Michelangelo Antonioni Ranked List

I had been warned off of Antonioni because his pacing and emphasis on emotions over story seemed like a bad fit. This was confirmed by the doomed viewing of Blow-Up in college when I was more interested in the mystery than the photographer. 6 years ago, I watched L'Avventura and have been a fan of Antonioni since.

That said, I have a number of films to select from. Il Grido is definitely going to happen. I will also look into Le amiche, Story of a Love Affair, The Lady Without Camelias and Identification of a Woman, but if I feel myself burning out on his style I'll move on.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 11:41:37 PM by 1SO »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Albert Brooks
« Reply #188 on: December 28, 2017, 11:52:27 PM »
#44. Albert Brooks Ranked List

Brooks' output is a little sad. From 1979 - 1991 he made two uneven comedies with many moments of greatness followed by two great comedies with small moments of unevenness. Then, it's like he just fell apart. The three features that follow all start strong and end very weak. I like Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World enough, but he's cheating by digging up old comedy routines. After that, he abandoned writing and directing completely and is now known best for playing Marlin in Finding Nemo/Finding Dory and a solid dramatic supporting turn in Drive.

I've seen all his features and will be posting a review for Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World before moving on.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - David Gordon Green
« Reply #189 on: December 29, 2017, 12:09:30 AM »
#45. David Gordon Green Ranked List

Unlike most, I wasn't a fan of Green's Malick-esque debut, but the relationship drama at the heart of All the Real Girls got me on board. I haven't seen Your Highness or The Sitter and I won't be watching them now, but I do have a number of interesting options. I'm going to look for Joe because I'd like to see Nicholas Cage be good again and I may seek out Stronger because it's from this year.