love

Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85493 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #420 on: July 07, 2018, 06:06:57 PM »
Mizoguchi will be heavily featured in a Japanese film marathon I hope to start next year.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #421 on: July 07, 2018, 11:06:31 PM »
I look forward to that. Much as I think I like Japanese movies, it's really just a couple of popular directors and genre stuff. I've spoken out about Ozu many times, Mizoguchi doesn't interest me though I bet if I spread everything out I'd find a couple or a few I really like. I'm even less excited about Mikio Naruse. Naruse is #214 but I see Ozu is up next.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Yasujiro Ozu
« Reply #422 on: July 07, 2018, 11:54:26 PM »
#148 Yasujiro Ozu

There is no Ranked List for reasons you can find all over my posts on Ozu. I have seen 15 of his films and couldn't tell you one from the other. That sameness combined with his uncinematic formal approach gets under my skin, and I realized I have two options here. I could do like with Jean-Pierre Melville, wipe the slate clean and start from the start. (I've been told repeatedly when you Marathon Ozu the subtle differences from one film to another make each one special.) However, since that's not something I'm interested in doing at this time, I'm going with the other option and moving onto the next director.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Pier Paolo Pasolini
« Reply #423 on: July 08, 2018, 12:07:40 AM »
#149 Pier Paolo Pasolini Ranked List

One of those like Takeshi Kitano whose direction is often more interesting than the films themselves.
The Gospel According to St. Matthew, Salo and Teorema are some of the most unforgettable film experiences of my life, and each one for different reasons. My Marathon with Bondo of Pasolini's Trilogy of Life was one of my favorite partnerships on the Boards.

IMDB and ICM suggest Oedipus Rex (1967) but I'd rather see Pasolini's version of one of my favorite stories, Medea (1969).

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Roman Polanski
« Reply #424 on: July 10, 2018, 12:35:34 AM »
#150 Roman Polanski Ranked List

While never a favorite of mine, he has 3 films on my Essentials. I've already been really good at keeping up with Polanski's notable work, including some of his early short films, and my Top 8 I've seen more than once. The biggest omissions are his version of Oliver Twist, which doesn't appeal to me at all and Venus in Fur, which I'm only learning about while updating his thread. I know I haven't written about most of his work, but I don't see a good reason to not movie on.

...okay, looking at who is up next I now have a reason.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Hirokazu Koreeda
« Reply #425 on: July 10, 2018, 12:56:24 AM »
#151 Hirokazu Koreeda Ranked List

I skimmed thru the thread because while my current vote is "don't like any", I've been curious about a couple of Koreeda's films, and with posts like OAD's words on Like Father, Like Son, I want to watch the film just to read that post.

So, I'm going to hit the pause button here and take some time watch films I'm interested in. I may even space them out with the next director(s). I'm most interested in...
Maborosi (1995) - early masterwork with intriguing premise
Air Doll (2009) - Very intriguing premise. Sounds like a Spike Jonze idea.
Like Father, Like Son (2013) - OAD
The Third Murder (2017) - courtroom mystery? Want to see Koreeda's version of that.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #426 on: July 10, 2018, 02:28:16 AM »
I would advise against The Third Murder (which is not bad but pretty tedious) and recommend Our Little Sister, although it's a film I'd describe as Ozu-esque, so maybe not for you.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

valmz

« Reply #427 on: July 10, 2018, 03:32:11 AM »
Our Little Sister is so, so great. It's like a metaphor for Koreeda's filmmaking: While his cinematic "elders" are wreaking havoc and drama, he decides to focus only on the opportunities to make people's lives better. So much magic in that one.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #428 on: July 10, 2018, 08:25:33 AM »
Thirding the recommendation for OLS, my favorite. Although I Wish might be more suited to your tastes.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #429 on: July 10, 2018, 09:22:50 AM »
Taking it all into consideration because I don't know why I'm not as excited about Koreeda as everyone else. Though I often see him mentioned as a contemporary of Ozu, I think that's about his humanism and not any formal directing choices. In that regard, Koreeda is often compared to Taiwanese directors Edward Yang and Hou Hsiao-hsien, who combine to form a supergroup of acclaimed filmmakers I generally avoid.

The Third Murder intrigues me because it appears to be more of a genre piece and may be the Koreeda film for people who don't like Koreeda. I'm not ruling out Our Little Sister, I Wish or a possible rewatch of Nobody Knows. I'm just going to see where this goes and hope for the best.