Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85457 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2017, 06:02:38 AM »
Why did you choose that order?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2017, 08:09:20 AM »
I've done similar marathons a couple of times before and went alphabetically. I was looking for a new approach and I like the unpredictability of not knowing what's ahead and the grouping of directors by the person who posted individual threads.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2017, 09:07:25 AM »
Why not go by Director's Project rating?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2017, 09:22:33 AM »
I considered that, however...

Whether I go by final group ratings or Personal ratings, I'm either starting or ending with a whole lot of bad directors. Plus, I end up doing a side Marathon of obscure directors, which wouldn't be well served taken all at once. Seemed like a recipe for me not completing this project.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2017, 09:38:46 AM »
Point taken.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2017, 02:14:51 PM »
I've done similar marathons a couple of times before and went alphabetically. I was looking for a new approach and I like the unpredictability of not knowing what's ahead and the grouping of directors by the person who posted individual threads.

Before seeing this conversation, I was beginning to wonder whether maybe the current order wasn't ideal for you. If this marathon is really going to last multiple years, I wonder if you'd get more out of revisiting films by Spielberg, Hitchcock, etc. at the end of that time (after exploring a ton of other new cinema) rather than scraping the bottom of their unseen filmography at this point in time. I guess it depends what your goals are, though.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2017, 02:28:31 PM »
This is an educational Marathon and I'm looking to fill in gaps. Ultimately, I'm becoming less interested in new watches when I already have a mighty group of films I enjoy and would rather rewatch than gamble on a lesser-known title. This gives me good reason to watch films I've been putting off.

I posted in Uwe Boll's thread but this overview has convinced me I don't want to waste my time. Because of a change to my workload next month, I'm going to switch my focus to Shocktober.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Fred Zinnemann
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2017, 01:00:45 AM »
#22. Fred Zinnemann Ranked List

In that post I wrote, "Don't be fooled by the colors. Except for Jackal, which is my #20 film of All Time, I'm not a fan of his directing." His style is difficult to peg. He seems very detail oriented, but in films that require emotions more than details his approach leaves me parched.

I've been wanting to get back to this project and he has a Noir, so you can count on me watching Kid Glove Killer (1). I've had The Search (2) high on my Watchlist for years and The Sundowners (3) in my unwatched DVD pile. iCM says I should look at Julia (4) and perhaps The Men (5) and/or A Hatful of Rain (6). My love of Anthony Quinn puts Behold a Pale Horse (7) on my radar and if all that isn't enough, I'm considering giving another chance to A Man For All Seasons (8 ).

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2017, 04:37:50 AM »
I like High Noon. You put it quite low.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2017, 03:48:21 PM »
The Men is well worth your time. Zinnemann is a great director of actors.

He seems very detail oriented ...

Yeah, the word I always associate with him is precision. He's a craftsman director, similar perhaps to someone like Lumet. He lets the story determine the style rather than imposing style on the story, often building the film around the performances. I'll probably sneak Julia into my Year-by-Year marathon next week.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad