Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85448 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Woody Allen
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 09:39:39 PM »
Woody Allen Ranked List

Glancing through the threads I notice MartinTeller and Timbzy have seen more. I like Allen when he's on, but his need to put out a movie a year leaves me with no urge to complete this filmography. My unseen films are...
Anything Else
Cafe Society
Celebrity
Irrational Man
Magic in the Moonlight
A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy
Scoop
To Rome With Love
You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:44:56 PM by 1SO »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Federico Fellini
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 09:44:33 PM »
Federico Fellini Ranked List

I've been gnawing away at Fellini in the hope that one day I will adore Cabiria, La Dolce Vita and 8 1/2 as much as everyone else. As for unseen titles, I still have a few choice selections including:
And the Ship Sails On
Casanova
City of Women
Ginger and Fred - this will probably be the next one
The Clowns

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Steven Spielberg
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 09:59:20 PM »
Steven Spielberg Ranked List

I grew up a Spielberg kid, one of a few names where I will watch regardless of what I thought of the last few films. I've seen all his features and his episodes of Amazing Stories. I'll watch Ready Player One and if there's an Indiana Jones 5, I'll be there no matter who stars or even if George Lucas produces and/or writes it.

I might watch Something Evil - his horror TV-Movie - this Shocktober, and I've never seen his short Amblin'. Just not interested.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Ang Lee
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 10:14:19 PM »
Ang Lee Ranked List

Ang Lee is very good at what he does. I know that because his style of character-driven storytelling isn't what I like, but I like most of his films. He takes his time and lets the people guide the story, and I can't often fault how effective his results are.

I seen everything except Taking Woodstock and Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. For this marathon, I watched his first film Pushing Hands, but didn't write about it. Again, it's not a movie I would choose to watch, but I also can't find fault with it.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Francis Ford Coppola
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
Francis Ford Coppola Ranked List

His greatest films are THE greatest films and the rest are about as bad (or only as good) as their reputation. I have not seen Jack or Tetro. I couldn't guess which would be worse, having seen a few scenes from Jack and knowing Tetro comes from the same period that produced Youth Without Youth and Twixt.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Billy Wilder
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2017, 10:33:03 PM »
Billy Wilder Ranked List

Planning to watch Fedora and Kiss Me Stupid to complete Billy Wilder's Hollywood filmography. (Maybe someday I'll even check out Mauvaise graine for 100%.) Don't see a reason not to. With 5 Essentials, he's one of the top filmmakers and I've already seen the titles considered his worst. Only Avanti! was painfully bad.

Thank you for my indulgence. This catches me up.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2017, 10:37:24 PM »
I would love for someone else to agree with me that Easy Virtue is very good, but I think the deck is stacked against your being that person, lol.

Then again, it's a better option for you than Coppola's Jack, if it comes to that.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Woody Allen
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2017, 05:44:22 AM »
Woody Allen Ranked List

Glancing through the threads I notice MartinTeller and Timbzy have seen more. I like Allen when he's on, but his need to put out a movie a year leaves me with no urge to complete this filmography. My unseen films are...
Anything Else
Cafe Society
Celebrity
Irrational Man
Magic in the Moonlight
A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy
Scoop
To Rome With Love
You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger
I tried to go complete on Woody's filmography 10-15 years ago. Today it would be a though task to rank them all and I would have most of them at around body temperature levels (30-40°). One title that stood out a little back then was Celebrity. I had a little thing against Leonardo DiCaprio until I saw that one.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2017, 07:43:11 AM »
Federico Fellini Ranked List

I've been gnawing away at Fellini in the hope that one day I will adore Cabiria, La Dolce Vita and 8 1/2 as much as everyone else. As for unseen titles, I still have a few choice selections including:
And the Ship Sails On
Casanova
City of Women
Ginger and Fred - this will probably be the next one
The Clowns

The Clowns is really good if you're into silly mockumentaries like the Rutles movie.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2017, 02:24:26 PM »
I tried to go complete on Woody's filmography 10-15 years ago. Today it would be a though task to rank them all and I would have most of them at around body temperature levels (30-40°). One title that stood out a little back then was Celebrity. I had a little thing against Leonardo DiCaprio until I saw that one.
I've always been a fan of Leo, but I was interested in the film to see how Kenneth Branagh fares as a Woody surrogate. There should be a ranked list of people in Woody Allen movies who are clearly playing the part a younger Allen would've played himself.

The Clowns is really good if you're into silly mockumentaries like the Rutles movie.
I didn't know it was a mockumentary. I just figured Fellini plus clowns equals some kind of uber-clown posse, like a Wes Anderson movie about a family of architects and painters.

love