Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85604 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Don Bluth
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2017, 02:33:53 PM »
Don Bluth Ranked List

When Bluth first made his mark, his fluid ink style was a relief from Disney's dark period. However, with The Little Mermaid Disney took the crown back and Bluth was left behind as his stories became increasingly insipid. Anastasia was a last ditch effort to make a film in the Disney mode, but the songs were forgettable and the story problematic.

I have not seen...
An American Tail
Bartok the Magnificent
The Pebble and the Penguin
A Troll in Central Park

An American Tail - I hate the song, and I hate the screechy film version of it even more - but this seems like the time to check out the popular film. I considered re-watching The Secret of NIMH, but I think my good memory of it is being heavily supported by nostalgia and I don't want to see that crumble.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:34:11 PM by 1SO »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2017, 11:27:15 PM »
You liked Dragon's Lair that much?  It looked like a cash-grab in association with a really expensive video game, so I avoided it.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2017, 11:56:01 PM »
You can watch it for free on youtube so how much cash can they grab?

(I'm actually not sure if you think I'm referring to the announced movie adaptation of the game or if you're even aware that Bluth is working on a feature length Dragon's Lair movie.)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2017, 11:56:09 PM »
I have way too much invested in memories of Rock-a-doodle from a childhood of fear. That shit will mess you up.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2017, 12:17:32 AM »
I've only seen the movie once, but "Tyin' Your Shoes" is stuck in my head as deep as "It's a Small World".

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Martin Scorsese
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2017, 12:24:45 AM »
Martin Scorsese Ranked List
Scorsese is one of those directors I didn't like initially. It was Goodfellas that broke through and he's been one of my favorites ever since. Not a big fan of his documentaries, unless the subject is him talking about movies. That is why I haven't seen...
Shine a Light
No Direction Home
George Harrison: Living in the Material World
A Letter to Elia

I have Shine a Light on tap. Also Italianamerican and something called The Audition, which I think is an extended advertisement for something, much like The Key to Reserva, but it stars Robert De Niro, Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt and Scorsese. Seems worth watching.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 05:23:42 PM by 1SO »

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Martin Scorsese
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2017, 03:46:27 AM »
Martin Scorsese Ranked List

Scorsese is one of those directors I didn't like initially. It was Goodfellas that broke through and he's been one of my favorites ever since. Not a big fan of his documentaries, unless the subject is him talking about movies. That is why I haven't seen...
Shine a Light
No Direction Home
George Harrison: Living in the Material World
A Letter to Elia

I have Shine a Light on tap. Also Italianamerican and something called The Audition, which I think is an extended advertisement for something, much like The Key to Reserva, but it stars Robert De Niro, Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt and Scorsese. Seems worth watching.
Shine A Light comes across much like an ordinary concert movie, but it captures the energy of The Stones in a great way.

No Direction Home was released when I was in my most severe Dylan addiction period and the movie was greeted somewhat like a miracle among us Dylanites back then. Scoresese was accessed material via Dylan's office that up to then never had been shown publicly. The movie was made for the American Masters series that runs on PBS.

The George Harrison movie isn't as prolific which fits the way George lived. He was a beautiful person.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2017, 05:02:56 AM »
When you say initially, do you mean when he came into the scene or when you started watching his movies, in whatever order? Looking at your list I would guess the latter?

(Can I sign you on for my anti-Silence club I am starting?)
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »
(Can I sign you on for my anti-Silence club I am starting?)

I'd sign up
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2017, 05:23:39 AM »
I have way too much invested in memories of Rock-a-doodle from a childhood of fear. That shit will mess you up.

Yeah, how dare they do that to the nice owl!
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love