love

Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85543 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Steven Soderbergh
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2017, 07:31:01 PM »
Steven Soderbergh Ranked List

At the start of the last decade he was a director to not miss.
At the end, he became one to avoid.  The Good German really tipped my opinion to the other side, and his approach to Che sealed it.

Major titles I haven't seen include two Spalding Gray documentaries:
Gray's Anatomy
And Everything is Going Fine
also Logan Lucky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2017, 07:40:04 PM »
Word buried Stillman (882) between 8629 and 8959. He's Director #102

Cool that you did the work to correctly note that Anthony Asquith is #198

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2017, 06:42:47 AM »
Terrence Malick Ranked List

I've lived my life listening to and reading others go on and on about Malick's poetic genius. It's why I've seen seven of his features, and the fact that my favorite is Knight of Cups shows that I don't understand him at all. While liking Knight means I will probably like Song to Song, I really have no reason to watch or even re-watch any of his work as a Marathon chore. If I'm ever in the mood for a Malick, I'll act on that impulse, but I'm moving onto the next director.

I didn't get to seven but I have Malick fatigue too. Haven't watched his three or four latest movies.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Kevin Smith
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2017, 11:59:30 PM »
Kevin Smith Ranked List

I should have gotten off this train back when Smith announced his retirement. The fact that he's never developed any skill as a director beyond learning how an edit works could be forgiven by great writing, but what was once his strength now only shines when he's speaking in public. My #1 still stands. I'll happily watch when it's him in front of a microphone, but after Tusk, if it's something printed from his computer I have no interest. None. I'd rather fill in the gaps of M. Night Shyamalan.

I haven't seen Cop Out or Yoga Hosers. I have no interest in Hit Somebody, Moose Jaws, Helena Handbag or even Jay and Silent Bob Get a Reboot.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Orson Welles
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2017, 12:20:38 AM »
Orson Welles Ranked List

Feels like Francis Ford Coppola all over again. One inarguable classic, some flawed genius and a lot of studio interference. ICheckMovies has given me a number of suggestions from the list of what I haven't seen.
Othello appears to be the Must Watch
The Immortal Story could be interesting and is under an hour.
Too Much Johnson was before(?) Citizen Kane. Interesting.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Paul Verhoeven
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2017, 11:40:58 PM »
Paul Verhoeven Ranked List.

Before Showgirls, he was one of my favorite directors. I even like Hollow Man and Flesh + Blood is a bonkers, lusty adventure just waiting to be discovered. There isn't a lot I haven't seen, but I always meant to catch Katie Tippel back in the day. Don't really care now. I also haven't seen Tricked. Going to think about how much I want to watch something by Verhoeven considering I already feel like an authority.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2017, 04:02:26 AM »
Did I ever read your Elle review? I don't remember ever seeing it.

I am now more incited to watch Total Recall.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2017, 04:17:19 PM »
Did I ever read your Elle review? I don't remember ever seeing it.
I thought I wrote one, but I can't find it.

I've also decided not to watch Katie Tippel. With genre films, it's pretty easy for me to watch something with little to no prep, however dramas I need to be more in the mood for. So while I've always meant to catch up with this hole in my Verhoeven filmography, I have no enthusiasm to do it right now and would rather move on to the next director.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Christopher Guest
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2017, 04:56:43 PM »
#15 Christopher Guest Ranked List

Guest seemed like a clever person with one style of filmmaking that allowed his cast to play. The Big Picture is a more conventional narrative, but the jokes are mild and mixed and play like a stand-up routine turned into a scene.

Almost Heroes!

I haven't seen his two least popular projects, Mascots and Almost Heroes. I could be easily tempted by an enthusiastic review of either (or his 8 episode series "Family Tree"), and I would love to read karlwinslow's defense, which I would more likely to believe is cheeky trolling. It doesn't seem like I'm missing anything by moving onto the next director.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 04:58:49 PM by 1SO »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Mel Gibson
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2017, 05:05:36 PM »
#16 Mel Gibson Ranked List

I've seen his 5 features, and choose not to go down the rabbit hole of his personality, but simply comment on the work. (Believe me, if you're going to do that you best stopping watching movies and television now, as well as give up on reading many authors.)

IMDB says he made a documentary called "Mel Gibson Goes Back to School" where he teaches Hamlet to a group of high school drama students. Sounds interesting. I may look for it, which would also give a breather for anyone who wants to post a comment here.