love

Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85441 times)

Jeff Schroeck

Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Christopher Guest
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2017, 05:15:55 PM »
I haven't seen his two least popular projects, Mascots and Almost Heroes. I could be easily tempted by an enthusiastic review of either (or his 8 episode series "Family Tree"), and I would love to read karlwinslow's defense, which I would more likely to believe is cheeky trolling. It doesn't seem like I'm missing anything by moving onto the next director.

Mascots has one compelling story line and the mascot performance pieces are fun, but the rest seems like he wasn't trying very hard.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »
How long since you've seen Braveheart?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2017, 08:29:33 PM »
Probably when I was reviewing the 90s, so about 15 years. I've seen it 3 times. Starts a little slow, but once the revenge plot kicks in it gets a lot better. Didn't care for the ending which went on way too long, though after a couple more films I saw that it's just what Gibson likes to dwell on.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2017, 09:34:22 PM »
I do like that that epilogue though. :)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2017, 04:39:28 AM »
I didn't know Gibson had directed Braveheart. I also didn't know there Man Without even existed.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - David Lynch
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2017, 10:54:38 PM »
#17. David Lynch Ranked List

I can understand those that are reluctant to watch Lynch, say he's not for them or flat out hate his work. He's more of a modern artist who happens to also make movies, which are often just as surreal as his art installations. I was around in 1999 when people who knew Lynch's style were uneasy by how normal The Straight Story is, yet I find plenty of Lynch in that film too.

I've seen all of Lynch's features and all of Twin Peaks including The Return. I haven't seen The Missing Pieces, but I don't know what I'd get out of a collection of odds and ends. I've also seen many of Lynch's short films but not all of them and MartinTeller has a ranked list which includes some of those shorts along with reviews from Dynamic:01 : The Best of DavidLynch.com. I don't know how easy these will be to find, but I'm going to look for them.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2017, 08:56:38 AM »
#17. David Lynch Ranked List

I can understand those that are reluctant to watch Lynch, say he's not for them or flat out hate his work. He's more of a modern artist who happens to also make movies, which are often just as surreal as his art installations. I was around in 1999 when people who knew Lynch's style were uneasy by how normal The Straight Story is, yet I find plenty of Lynch in that film too.

I've seen all of Lynch's features and all of Twin Peaks including The Return. I haven't seen The Missing Pieces, but I don't know what I'd get out of a collection of odds and ends.

This is what I had to say about it:

The new Blu-Ray edition includes the long-awaited deleted and extended scenes, an hour and a half of them.  While there’s some interesting material here, most of it is the stuff that separates the movie from the TV show.  There are a number of throwaway bits involving secondary characters, including almost every season 1 cast member (with the notable exceptions of Catherine Martell and the Hornes).  If you imagine Fire Walk With Me as a 4-episode “prequel” run of the show, these scenes are the things you’d be mildly interested in or amused by while waiting for the good bits.  Does anyone really need to see Pete and Josie bicker with the bank manager about a piece of lumber?  I think not.

Other scenes are not especially missed in the context of the movie but are still a good watch, like Isaak’s final confrontation with the sheriff.  Most valuable are the last few deleted scenes, which provide some tantalizing bits of epilogue for the “Twin Peaks” universe, including more of the beloved Agent Cooper.  These would have been out of place after the film’s climax, but serve as excellent supplementary material.  What the deleted scenes don’t do is shed much light on the mysteries of the film.  A few tidbits are explained a little more, but mostly the film retains its wonderful inscrutability.

I've also seen many of Lynch's short films but not all of them and MartinTeller has a ranked list which includes some of those shorts along with reviews from Dynamic:01 : The Best of DavidLynch.com. I don't know how easy these will be to find, but I'm going to look for them.

Ah, I see I was missing some shorts and odd bits in my rankings. I also decided to split out the features from the rest... something I don't think I've done for any other director, but it feels appropriate in this case for some reason.

Still quite a few shorts I haven't seen, not to mention his Duran Duran concert film (I dunno, I like DD but this seems like inessential viewing) and his early attempts at TV. I should track some of that stuff down.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:58:51 AM by MartinTeller »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2017, 09:08:09 AM »
Ah, I see I was missing some shorts and odd bits in my rankings. I also decided to split out the features from the rest... something I don't think I've done for any other director, but it feels appropriate in this case for some reason.
It does. I watched some shorts last night and mixing them in with the features makes it difficult because I retain more of a memory of the features while the short films, like Boat, just pass by my brain for a few moments.

What is Eraserhead Stories? Is that on the DVD?

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2017, 09:10:31 AM »
What is Eraserhead Stories? Is that on the DVD?

Yeah, it's Lynch just talking about the movie for 85 minutes. It's probably my favorite DVD extra.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2017, 09:18:16 AM »
Also, now that I've separated the rankings I see that I'm not a fan of his shorts, which are more undeveloped mood moments wrapped in Lynch's style. (45 minutes of Rabbits with only about 4 or 5 interesting things that happen beyond the initial look of the frame.)