love

Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85452 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Ridley Scott
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2017, 09:26:37 AM »
#18. Ridley Scott Ranked List

I like Ridley Scott and scoff at those who say he's past his prime. He often fails to spot narrative flaws, but he's always been that way. His films are only as good as their scripts because the filmmaking is often close to flawless. (Robin Hood stands out as having a number of bad directing choices. Someone to Watch Over Me is an under-appreciated gem.) Because of that, I will watch anything directed by Sir Ridley. There are 4 features I haven't seen and I'm game for all of them:

A Good Year
Body of Lies
The Counsellor
Exodus: Gods and Kings

I might also re-watch Someone to Watch Over Me.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 09:41:36 AM by 1SO »

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2017, 09:45:20 AM »
I liked A Good Year when I was a kid. Exodus is a mess with interesting ideas in it. More so than 10 Commandments I would say.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Tim Burton
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2017, 11:53:54 PM »
#19. Tim Burton Ranked List

There are no absolutes in film opinions, but looking at the poll for Tim Burton it seems most agree his recent output isn't as good as his early work. I thought he was bulletproof until Mars Attacks!, one of the most depressing nights at the cinema I've ever had. There would be worse to come, like Alice in Wonderland, another of my most depressing cinema experiences.

Some believe Burton made a comeback with Big Fish. I thought it was a load of crap - in the case of a scene involving an elephant, literally - but I do think the old Burton resurfaced in Sweeney Todd.

As for what to watch, I haven't seen Big Eyes or Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and I've been interested in both. I also learned Burton directed Hansel and Gretel (1983) as a Halloween short for the Disney Channel, and there's a 1986 episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents called "The Jar" that sounds interesting.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2017, 01:41:57 AM »
Big Eyes is probably the least "Tim Burton" film of his I've seen.  Miss P is his attempt to do Harry Potter with some high highs and some low lows.  Neither are his worst or his best, but I think you'd find them worth your time.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2017, 03:29:12 AM »
I watched Big Eyes at the cinema and forgot most about it almost immediately. It's an average biopic that is barely Burtonian.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - James Cameron
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2017, 11:54:59 PM »
#20. James Cameron Ranked List

My favorite director working today. Like many, I wish he wasn't so deep in the Avatar business, but I'll be there opening weekend all the same. (This also means I'm set up for a major fall.)

I haven't seen Cameron's documentaries, but I have as much interest in them as a documentary by Hitchcock or Leone. It's not where their greatness is on display. So Ghosts of the Abyss and Aliens of the Deep will remain unwatched, and I can't find a reason to revisit his features, all of which I've seen several times over the years.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Uwe Boll
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2017, 12:15:50 AM »
21. Uwe Boll

Part of me would love to watch his entire body of work just to say I did it.  If only there was a reward or a special merit badge at the end...

A joke poll, so do I take it seriously? I've seen part of House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark and BloodRayne, but not enough to count them as watched. IMDB has Rampage rated highest (6.3, one of only four film rated above 5.0). A third of the Filmspotters who voted in the poll selected Postal. I'll watch almost anything, but I'm having trouble with the fact that Boll himself never took what he did seriously, I don't see the value in watching just one of his films and I don't really want to commit to a set of titles.

Maybe there's a documentary of his work on YouTube.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - James Cameron
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2017, 03:05:43 AM »
#20. James Cameron Ranked List

My favorite director working today. Like many, I wish he wasn't so deep in the Avatar business, but I'll be there opening weekend all the same. (This also means I'm set up for a major fall.)

I haven't seen Cameron's documentaries, but I have as much interest in them as a documentary by Hitchcock or Leone. It's not where their greatness is on display. So Ghosts of the Abyss and Aliens of the Deep will remain unwatched, and I can't find a reason to revisit his features, all of which I've seen several times over the years.

I kinda liked Aliens of the Deep, if only for the cinematography.  Such a crisp presentation of a new world.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2017, 03:44:20 AM »
What order are you doing these in? I cannot figure out how Boll gets to be #21.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2017, 05:24:48 AM »
The order is decided by when the poll was first created. The first ever Director thread on the boards was Alfred Hitchcock and Uwe Boll was poll #21.