Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85571 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2017, 04:47:08 PM »
I've been wanting to get back to this project and he has a Noir, so you can count on me watching Kid Glove Killer (1).

I went and looked up the etymology of kid gloves. It's kid as in young goat. Gloves made from young goats. Before now any time I heard that phrase I always imagined some mythical glove that someone handled kids with at some point. I hope I wasn't the only one.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2017, 04:51:34 PM »
I imagined something different. Gloves made out of kids' skin. Not kid goats. Kid kids.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2017, 06:21:49 PM »
I've been wanting to get back to this project and he has a Noir, so you can count on me watching Kid Glove Killer (1).

I went and looked up the etymology of kid gloves. It's kid as in young goat. Gloves made from young goats. Before now any time I heard that phrase I always imagined some mythical glove that someone handled kids with at some point. I hope I wasn't the only one.

I also assumed it was a metaphorical item of clothing for handling a situation, like "big boy pants".

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Sergio Leone
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2017, 09:10:48 PM »
#23. Sergio Leone Ranked List

My pick for the Greatest Director who ever lived. Working against that claim is his paltry filmography of only 7 features starting with The Colossus of Rhodes, the only film of his I've never seen and still am not sure I want to. Even Kubrick has left us with more to savor.

I'd be more interested in watching any commercials he may have directed or a collection of his odds and ends, such as the opening scene of A Genius, Two Friends, and an Idiot, which I have seen. (It's a moment drawn-out and capped with a deadpan joke. Very him.)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:41:23 PM by 1SO »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Spike Lee
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2017, 09:41:12 PM »
#24. Spike Lee Ranked List

The current poll has only 13 votes spread across 4 options, while the Poll that was closed 2 years ago had 66 votes across 11 options. Maybe this speaks of how far outside the cultural conversation Spike Lee has fallen. There was a time when every Spike Lee film would cause a discussion.

I thought I had seen 4 Little Girls, but maybe not. It certainly stands out as the Spike Lee film I should catch up with. I also haven't seen Miracle at St. Anna, whose failure seems to be where Lee fell out with audiences, She Hate Me, which sounds terrible and Red Hook Summer, which after Crooklyn I have no interest in. As a horror junkie, I should be interested in Da Sweet Blood of Jesus, but I really don't get the film it was based on and I read this was a disaster on every level. I might look for Passing Strange, which Roger Ebert was incredibly enthusiastic about. Plus the combination of theater and music intrigues me.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Christopher Nolan
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2017, 10:42:39 PM »
#25. Christopher Nolan Ranked List

This seems largely unnecessary, especially after my Dark Knight Marathon. Part of my reason for doing this is to correct and clean up Director threads and I was surprised to discover Dunkirk wasn't added... and nobody was asking for it either.

That's the big one I haven't seen, but it'll have to wait for the DVD next month. I was not going to the theater for a Nolan film after Interstellar, though Dunkirk's brief running time is a step in the right direction. I looked for Nolan's other two short films, Larceny and Tarantella, but they don't seem to be available to the public.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Cronenberg, David
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2017, 11:05:36 PM »
#26. David Cronenberg Ranked List

One of those directors I wouldn't call a personal favorite, but I constantly admire his distinct and unique vision. Often looked at as a Horror director, his take on body horror is closer to the surrealism of David Lynch, although a lot more clinical and in his later years, more cerebral.

I've never seen A Dangerous Method, which aside from the cast never interested me, but I'm willing to give it a look. He made an auto racing film in 1979 called Fast Company which I am definitely giving a pass. I am going to look for a 1970 film called Crimes of the Future, which reads like his entire career in one go.

"A sometime director of a dermatological clinic called the House of Skin is searching for his mentor, the mad dermatologist Antoine Rouge. Rouge has disappeared following a catastrophic plague resulting from cosmetic products, which has killed the entire population of sexually mature women."

I may also seek out his short films The Nest, Camera and From the Drain

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2017, 04:18:09 AM »
Two hours is considered a brief running time now?

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2017, 04:22:30 AM »
Two hours is considered a brief running time now?

Dunkirk is 106 minutes long, which I guess is more "average" than brief overall, but for Nolan it's definitely on the short side. Probably his shortest, right ?

*Quick cut to IMdB*

Yeah, it's his shortest film since Following.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2017, 05:30:12 AM »
Google had it at two hours.

love