love

Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85525 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2017, 11:12:40 AM »
I love to recommend Blow Out to people just because I feel like it's the synthesis of De Palma's style. I would probably still recommend that to you, DH. I prefer Phantom of the Paradise, but that one is a bit out there and leans heavy into De Palma's campy tendencies.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2017, 04:07:45 PM »
The problem with Blow Out is Nancy Allen's decision about her voice. It punches a black hole in her performance that sucks in the entire film.

My rewatch of Raising Cain did not go as joyfully as planned. It's a laughable piece of rubbish.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2017, 04:11:07 PM »
My rewatch of Raising Cain did not go as joyfully as planned. It's a laughable piece of rubbish.

Indeed.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2017, 06:05:25 PM »
Can't wait.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2017, 06:12:10 PM »
DH, I think you'd like The Untouchables a second time.  So much to see that a 16 year old might easily miss.

I think Blow Out is a fun ride.  Although I might not have seen it since I was 16.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2017, 12:31:01 AM »

Indeed.

pixote

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - John Carpenter
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2017, 01:16:44 AM »
#30. John Carpenter Ranked List

3 Essentials, including Halloween, a masterpiece of horror direction. I've been a fan through good times and bad, which is why I didn't quit watching his films until Ghosts of Mars. (Everything from 1984's Starman to 1996's Escape From L.A. I watched in the movie theater.) It's why I keep re-watching The Thing even though I'm in the unpopular opinion that it's a not good movie with a few unforgettable scenes.

Pickings are slim here, and I'm still not watching Ghosts of Mars. I also have no interest in his acclaimed Elvis movie. Instead, I'm going to watch his last feature, 2010's The Ward. I'm also going to re-watch In the Mouth of Madness, because it has a fair share of friends who like it, but this is one where if the experience is matching my initial reaction I will abandon the viewing.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2017, 01:52:09 AM »
I have seen zero of these.
I am still at zero. They Live is highest on my watchlist because of this John Ashbery poem.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2017, 05:20:00 AM »
Why do you hate Prince of Darkness?

If Big Trouble is anything like Escape from NY I have no interest. They Live could be tempting though.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2017, 09:02:44 AM »
I love how the opening credits for Prince of Darkness last for the entire exposition, running about 10 minutes. Beyond that it's an increasingly nonsensical film that - now that I think about it - reminds me of Mouth of Madness. I wasn't going to watch Prince again because I've already seen it twice, but the two films might be good to compare with each other.

Big Trouble in Little China is little like Escape From NY. Escape was an action movie with a limited budget so there is little action and the film coasts on atmosphere and weird characters. Big Trouble is post-Raiders of the Lost Ark, so there's a heap more action and comedy and the 80s aesthetic melds with Chinese culture in a very fun way. Plus, Kurt Russell is one of the great ineffective action heroes, believing he's John Wayne when in fact he's completely in over his head against the women, martial artists and gunplay going on around him.