Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85518 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - John Carpenter
« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2017, 11:48:10 PM »
#31. Jim Jarmusch Ranked List

I initially liked Jarmusch's deadpan style, but I always expected it would evolve more towards humor, becoming an American Roy Andersson. The breaking point for me was Ghost Dog, which did not need to be as long as it was. Discovering Takeshi Kitano around that time showed where Jarmusch had it all wrong. Edited down, Ghost Dog could've been a Kitano mix of violence, philosophy, gangsters and deadpan.

After that, I only watched Jarmusch films reluctantly. (I'd love to hear what the current generation thinks of JJ, if they think of him at all.) Broken Flowers almost brought me back to him, but my disdain for Only Lovers Left Alive is so out of step with everyone else whose seen it that I ignored all the praise for Paterson, the only non-documentary I haven't seen. So, reluctantly, I will now be watching Paterson.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2017, 05:58:46 AM »
Except for Lovers, JJ is an enigma to me. At best his other movies were tedious.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Todd Field
« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2017, 12:24:43 AM »
#32. Todd Field Ranked List

I threw this poll up too soon. It's actually from a project I did when I first joined the forum which I modified and re-polled for the current board.

After In The Bedroom and Little Children, he’s close... real close.  But right now I think Field is still a well of untapped potential.  I like the way he handles actors, but I’m more enamored with the writing skills he brings to difficult projects.  He likes to break the rules, and somehow is able to get away with it.  His direction is visually very fluid and a masterpiece is in his future, but I think he’s still a couple of films away.

I could go picking through some short films or TV work, but it's probably best to move on.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - John Cassavetes
« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2017, 12:41:59 AM »
#33. John Cassavetes Ranked List

A pioneer, but not a favorite. I like the rawness of most of the acting, but I often feel trapped inside his world and am never anxious to return to it. A Woman Under the Influence is one of the best movies I don't care if I ever watch again. Nothing to do with the content being off-putting, it's just so draining. This is why I have no interest in seeing the other cut of The Killing of a Chinese Bookie. Once was enough.

What I haven't seen are Cassavetes' two studio films. ICM has Too Late Blues on two lists, but I'm more interested in A Child Is Waiting because it stars Burt Lancaster and Judy Garland. Maybe I'll watch both.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Tery Gilliam
« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2017, 12:13:56 AM »
#34. Terry Gilliam Ranked List

Like Tim Burton, Gilliam was a favorite of mine in the 90s and it's sad to see how far he's fallen. Still, I'm always interested in a new Gilliam film, which is why I've seen all his features, many of them multiple times which is why I don't have anything to re-watch either. This includes The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, which I've seen 3 times even though it's only Okay.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 02:03:04 PM by 1SO »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Jonathan Glazer
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2017, 12:23:16 AM »
#35. Jonathan Glazer Ranked List

Like Todd Field, you could argue that I started this thread too soon, but his three features constitute a unique start matched only by Pete Docter. When you add in his music videos, he's easily one of the most interesting, visionary directors working today.

Nothing here for me to take a look at.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Cameron Crowe
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2017, 12:35:18 AM »
#36. Cameron Crowe Ranked List

After the stumble of Vanilla Sky, Cameron Crowe stepped off a cliff with Elizabethtown. That disaster not only broke me, the films that followed indicate that he's never recovered.

I haven't seen Pearl Jam Twenty, which is great timing being DOCember, and I have to admit I'm interested in We Bought a Zoo - is it actually better than it sounds? - and curious about Aloha - is it actually a bigger disaster than Elizabethtown?

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2017, 05:05:38 AM »
I would so love to watch a new Cameron Crowe movie and like it. I daren't though.

When you add in his music videos, he's easily one of the most interesting, visionary directors working today.

Working...has he done anything since Under the Skin?

Do you count Docter's three shorts as his débuts?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2017, 02:04:10 PM »
When you add in his music videos, he's easily one of the most interesting, visionary directors working today.

Working...has he done anything since Under the Skin?

Do you count Docter's three shorts as his débuts?
He's in prep on a new film now.

Docter: Monsters Inc., Up, Inside Out

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2017, 06:52:45 PM »
Stumble of Vanilla Sky? Stumbled onto greatness!

love