love

Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85596 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Jean-Pierre Melville
« Reply #210 on: January 22, 2018, 11:23:59 PM »
I'm dragging my feet deciding if I want to watch my Preminger tonight.

#55. Jean-Pierre Melville. I don't have a ranked list because he's not a director who's bowled me over, even though I can see the talent and skill in his style and he makes the kind of movies I would expect to love. I started with Le Samouraï and have watched 6 others, trying to find that one that I connect with. I prefer Jacques Becker if only for Le Trou, but in a Deathmatch I'd probably vote for Melville because his style is so distinct.

What I might do is a Marathon where I watch no more than one Melville a day. New films and rewatches. Chronological so I can watch his style develop. I'll skip Le Silence de la Mer because it's the one I remember best. So the list will be...
Les Enfants Terribles - NEW
Bob le Flambeur - REWATCH
Léon Morin, Priest - NEW
Le Doulos - REWATCH
Le Deuxieme Souffle - REWATCH
Le Samouraï - REWATCH
Army of Shadows - REWATCH and the one I'm least interested to see again, so I may skip this one.
Le Cercle Rouge - REWATCH
Un Flic - NEW and I haven't decided yet if I'm actually going to include it.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #211 on: January 23, 2018, 08:28:20 AM »
This director doesn't bowl me over, so I'm only going to spend 14 to 18 hours watching and rewatching his movies.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #212 on: January 23, 2018, 08:54:46 AM »
If I took that attitude I would’ve never watched all the great Bergman.

A director I love is comfort food. With Melville, I want to give him a fair chance or discover Why he doesn’t excite me like you think he would.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #213 on: January 23, 2018, 11:38:07 AM »
I will be interested in your reviews of the movies I watched for my marathon.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #214 on: January 24, 2018, 02:07:43 AM »
I recall the "M*A*S*H" episode where everyone is all excited to see The Moon is Blue because they think it's a dirty movie and they have to sneak around to see it and it turns out to be really tame.

My memory of the episode is that they do not get to see the film, because to get to see the film Klinger (I think) swaps the labels with another film and then some general pulls rank and gets them the film. So they end up with another film.

Dirty, in 1953, for this film was related to it pushing the Hays Code boundaries, so very tame by today's standards. I vaguely remember that The Moon is Blue being a key film in the death of the Hays Code, but I would need to check that, because I also vaguely remember trying to confirm and it not being the case.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #215 on: January 24, 2018, 08:17:26 AM »
I recall the "M*A*S*H" episode where everyone is all excited to see The Moon is Blue because they think it's a dirty movie and they have to sneak around to see it and it turns out to be really tame.

My memory of the episode is that they do not get to see the film, because to get to see the film Klinger (I think) swaps the labels with another film and then some general pulls rank and gets them the film. So they end up with another film.

I think you're right, but I also recall a coda where they do finally watch TMiB and they're all bored silly.

Wikipedia backs me up

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #216 on: January 24, 2018, 02:00:55 PM »
Research trumps ageing memory  ;D

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #217 on: January 24, 2018, 06:49:45 PM »
research
trump
aging
memory

To the politics thread!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #218 on: January 24, 2018, 08:46:04 PM »

I think you're right, but I also recall a coda where they do finally watch TMiB and they're all bored silly.

Wikipedia backs me up

It was scandalous because the main female character, refers to herself as a virgin, when conversing with William Holden's character. That was taboo back then.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #219 on: January 24, 2018, 10:04:08 PM »

love