Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85503 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #230 on: January 29, 2018, 11:22:55 AM »
Me too. When it sticks to the stage play it's a perfect concert of Bogosian's word and performance with Stone's stylized visuals. When rebuilding my Top 100 in 2010 I watched it again and the shortcomings were too big to ignore. However, I still see the glass as more full than empty.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Guy Ritchie
« Reply #231 on: January 29, 2018, 11:28:30 PM »
The Jean-Pierre Melville retrospective is nearly complete. I'm going to watch Le Cercle Rouge and post.

#59. Guy Ritchie Ranked List

This is one of the funniest threads I've skimmed through. 20 posts that will make you think he's one of the least worthy directors in the sub-board followed by brief opinions on Snatch, which may be referring to the movie. Hard to tell. Like those who like him, I think he came out strong and has been wobbly ever since Madonna ruined his career, but the potential is still there.

I haven't seen Swept Away and I'm not going to. I also haven't seen King Arthur, nor do I see a reason to. I know I'll be watching his live-action remake of Aladdin next year - I just learned he directed it - so I'm fine with moving forward.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Stephen Chow
« Reply #232 on: January 29, 2018, 11:40:43 PM »
#60. Stephen Chow Ranked List

I have been missing Stephen Chow and his brand of live-action cartoon insanity. Like most people, I discovered him with Shaolin Soccer and he built on that with Kung Fu Hustle, which contains the most inventive use of digital effects since The Matrix. I enjoyed them so much, I even sat through CJ7, which was as bad as it looked.

I'm looking forward to seeing what I can find from Chow. I've wanted to see The God of Cookery ever since I heard it existed, but availability has always been an issue, though I haven't looked in years. If not, I'll also look for Forbidden City Cop. I'm definitely going to take this opportunity to watch The Mermaid.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2018, 12:20:55 AM »
Oh no. God of Cookery was on Netflix last year. D: Maybe it'll be back!

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #234 on: January 30, 2018, 12:24:07 AM »
Fight Back to School was the most enjoyable Chow film I watched as part of the 1990s Far East Bracket. It looks to be available on YouTube with much better image quality than what I watched back then (but not in Cantonese, that I can find).

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #235 on: February 01, 2018, 09:20:12 PM »
Stephen Chow only stars in Fight Back to School. It was directed by Gordon Chan.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - David Lean
« Reply #236 on: February 01, 2018, 09:36:07 PM »
#61 David Lean Ranked List

David Lean had an amazing track record, proven by the many lists in his thread, but the very words 'Directed by David Lean' instantly make me think, "It's gonna be a bit long then, isn't it?" He only made 6 films over 2 hours, but 3 of them are his most popular work. He's like Andrei Tarkovsky in that regard. (A worthy adversary for a Deathmatch.)

There are 5 titles I haven't seen:
Major Barbara (1941)
This Happy Breed (1944)
The Passionate Friends (1949)
Madeline (1950)
Ryan's Daughter (1970)

Ryan's Daughter is the only one I've heard of, and it stars Robert Mitchum, but it's also the longest. So despite being on 2 ICM lists, it's the least likely.
This Happy Breed is from Criterion, but The Passionate Friends has Claude Rains in it. ...and it's only 95 minutes.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:32:13 AM by 1SO »

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #237 on: February 01, 2018, 09:40:30 PM »
Ryan's Daughter is not very good. The other four are the four I haven't seen so I can't help you, but I would chose Major Barbara for Wendy Hiller.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #238 on: February 01, 2018, 10:53:55 PM »
This Happy Breed is better, but Passionate Friends ain't bad.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Darren Aronofsky
« Reply #239 on: February 02, 2018, 01:20:10 AM »
#62 Darren Aronofsky Ranked List

For someone so new, with only 7 features, Aronofsky has one of the longest director threads, and reading the comments, he comes off as one of the most divisive filmmakers. Checking with the Director Ratings Project, it seems while nearly everyone have a film rated Green or better along with a Red title - MartinTeller has a perfect rainbow - we tend to be favorable in our overall opinion of his talent. (Of course, this was before mother!)

I think he's one of the best filmmakers working today and admire the way he swings for the fences every time out. I can't see him working on a franchise, but he doesn't dwell deep in the arthouse either, with mid-budget projects starring big names in films he seems to have a personal stake in.

I've seen all of his features, but none of the short films that came before Pi, mainly because I really don't like Pi. (I tried a 2nd time, and found myself liking it even less.) I'll look for those short films, especially hoping to find Protozoa.

love