love

Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85462 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Jean-Pierre Jeunet
« Reply #260 on: February 12, 2018, 09:00:57 AM »
#71 Jean-Pierre Jeunet  Ranked List

Where did Jeunet go? Seeing his name again sent me to Wikipedia to find out if he retired. I never heard of 2013's The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet - was it released in the U.S.? - So I thought his last film was Micmacs in 2009.

He has a visual imagination like no other, but it's such a dominant trait that some of his films only have the Art Direction going for it. (If you think Wes Anderson is overly-indulgent, Jeunet's frequent absence of human emotions make Wes all warm and fuzzy by comparison.)

I haven't seen the early short films, that T.S. Spivet feature or the 55-minute TV Pilot Casanova, and I'm fine with that.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Alain Resnais
« Reply #261 on: February 12, 2018, 09:28:47 AM »
#72 Alain Resnais Ranked List

It was September 2010 when I went from having watched zero Resnais to watching Night and Fog, Hiroshima Mon Amour and Last Year at Marienbad, the 3 titles that dominate Resnais' poll. This brief early supernova period appears to kick off what turned into an unremarkable career, or maybe that's just by comparison.

Appearing on 6 ICM lists, Providence (1977) is the one I need to watch. None of the others are jumping out at me, but I'd be happy to read some opinions.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:26:45 AM by 1SO »

Teproc

• Elite Member
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #262 on: February 12, 2018, 10:05:36 AM »
For Resnais, On connaît la chanson/Same Old Song is quite good, it's a lip-sync musical written by Jean-Pierre Bacri and Agnès Jaoui, which sounds weirder than it is but still, quite good. I don't know how familiar you are with Bacri/Jaoui, they're writers and actors with a pretty specific sensibility for French dramedies, the most famous one from them would probably be Le goût des autres/The Taste of Others.

Edit: Oh, and Spivet is decent, but judging by your overall opinion of Jeunet you wouldn't like it much. It's lesser than Micmacs. While the Wes Anderson comparison is very much on-point for Jeunet, I wouldn't accuse him of lacking emotion, ever. Cutesy and annoying I can see, but his films are always heartfelt post-Caro (Amélie and on).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:08:00 AM by Teproc »
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #263 on: February 12, 2018, 10:23:15 AM »
I remember seeing the trailer for Spivet and in the first few seconds thinking "that's gotta be Jeunet".

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Geroge A. Romero
« Reply #264 on: February 13, 2018, 09:26:32 AM »
#73 George A. Romero Ranked List

A true master of horror, though I wonder how many find the crude production values off-putting. Romero is such a legend, you don't think of him as an independent filmmaker, but his films don't look polished until the 80s. Commenting on Romero is like commenting on Citizen Kane. What is there to say at this point? He single-handedy defined zombies, and boldly made social commentary films disguised as horror.

I noticed this begins a streak of Horror Directors (proto-Shocktober), and because of my Marathon last year I might not have something to watch, or I will have to take a really deep dive. This is the case with Romero with two obscure titles I've been curious about: Two Evil Eyes (1990), which Romero directs half and Dario Argent directs the other half, and Bruiser (2000). There is also Season of the Witch (1972), but despite the title, it's listed as a drama and not horror. (The original title was Hungry Wives and it might've been changed to draw in Romero fans.)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Wes Craven
« Reply #265 on: February 14, 2018, 02:59:30 PM »
#74 Wes Craven Ranked List

Though he made some of the most notorious horror movies, among Horror directors I always think of Wes Craven as one of the most likable. This probably explains why I've watched so many of his films, even though the bad ones are downright inept. For example, right after Nightmare on Elm Street he made The Hills Have Eyes Part II where you can see some stunt crew clearly standing next to a guy who falls by himself, and his next film (Deadly Friend) has the laughable Death by Basketball. (NSFW)

When Craven passed away recently I caught up with Deadly Blessing. There are some TV Movies, but nothing I'm interested in seeing.

His poll is incomplete, missing Cursed and My Soul to Take, but adding two titles not likely to be voted on would make it even more of a mess.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Dario Argento
« Reply #266 on: February 14, 2018, 03:07:55 PM »
#75 Dario Argento Ranked List

There are things about Argento I like and he's one of the best Giallo directors, but I hate the way that sub-genre throws all logic out the window for sensation and the small amounts of style don't make up for it.

I'll watch something here, besides his half of Two Evil Eyes. Argento is always something I peck at occasionally. However, I want to go back through my reviews and look over my options. I'm more likely to rewatch something I saw long ago, like Deep Red, Tenebre or Phenomena.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:30:04 PM by pixote »

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #267 on: February 14, 2018, 03:08:56 PM »
The restored Blu of Suspiria is coming out soon, maybe give a look to that?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Dario Argento
« Reply #268 on: February 14, 2018, 04:19:56 PM »
#75 Dario Argento Ranked List

broken link

pix edit: fixed
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:29:53 PM by pixote »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #269 on: February 14, 2018, 07:36:47 PM »
The restored Blu of Suspiria is coming out soon, maybe give a look to that?
This is the one I've seen recently and remember best, (and I wear I watched it in HD, which the screenshots in my review seem to support.)

Veehd has the Restored Cut of Profondo Rosso (aka Deep Red) in Widescreen HD. I'm sure when I watched this it was the shorter cut on VHS, so I will watch this better quality version.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:41:14 PM by 1SO »

love